Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Show off your Gobi roof rack.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the optilux small LED bar from hella, guess it's an off brand? I don't know found in Amazon. Put wires through cab and out the back near the back left tire. Put the wires in plastic tubing and zip tied to side of Gobi. Still want the option to flip the rack back so until I drill some holes in the ladder or tbning this will do for now Still pretty hidden. Also the light is pretty bright. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-897265496.jpg
Views:	858
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	618610

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3885622681.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	909.6 KB
ID:	618611
Old 07-24-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hard Top Removal?

Currently use the garage hoist to remove the hardtop and have seen the posts about removal with the Gobi but does anyone have pics of this? Does it slide out the back or how far exactly does the rack flip back? Is it not enough to remove the hardtop with a hoist?
Old 07-24-2015, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
Currently use the garage hoist to remove the hardtop and have seen the posts about removal with the Gobi but does anyone have pics of this? Does it slide out the back or how far exactly does the rack flip back? Is it not enough to remove the hardtop with a hoist?
This guy did it. My garage doesn't allow me to since when I swing the rack up the middle cross bar contacts the garage motor...so I need to replace the garage motor with a direct hub assembly Watch at about 12min http://youtu.be/2HklKyn27Go
Old 07-27-2015, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by EBerin
This guy did it. My garage doesn't allow me to since when I swing the rack up the middle cross bar contacts the garage motor...so I need to replace the garage motor with a direct hub assembly Watch at about 12min http://youtu.be/2HklKyn27Go

Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be taking it off the old way and carrying it into the garage to the hoist. Dont quite have the garage that the guy in this video has, haha.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
Thanks for the link. Looks like I will be taking it off the old way and carrying it into the garage to the hoist. Dont quite have the garage that the guy in this video has, haha.

I have heard of a couple people removing the rack from the hinge in the back, and the disconnects at the light bar in order to remove the roof like normal. I hope this works because I have little faith that my fiancé can help me take the roof up and over the roll bars, as well as my friends who normally help me will probably start being "busy" more often when it comes to that as well.
Does anyone do it this way? It is my one big concern on purchasing this rack.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrEman81
I have heard of a couple people removing the rack from the hinge in the back, and the disconnects at the light bar in order to remove the roof like normal. I hope this works because I have little faith that my fiancé can help me take the roof up and over the roll bars, as well as my friends who normally help me will probably start being "busy" more often when it comes to that as well.
Does anyone do it this way? It is my one big concern on purchasing this rack.
Yea I hear ya. Unless I call in reinforcements to help lift it like that guy is doing, I imagine it would be a big enough hassle to keep me from removing it that often. I did not even think about taking the rack off and then lifting the top with the hoist. I wonder how much the Gobi weighs. Ill have to search for the actual weight unless someone who has purchased one knows on here.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

So funny you say that. I actually did unhook the rack from the front light bar and back hinge but removed the rack myself

To do this I pulled into the other side of my garage with it being a two car garage I used the rail frame from the garage door track and put ratchet straps across the frame and under the rack

I then lifted the rack up and with both ratchet straps so it laid flat and drove out only lifted it about and inch and it was more just for support

Whether a good Idea or not it worked and after I went to the other side of the garage to remove the hard top with my hoist I just reversed back under the roof rack

I haven't repeated this process yet cause it took me a good couple hours as I actually did try to remove the rack myself and realized that would be really dofficult
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EBerin
So funny you say that. I actually did unhook the rack from the front light bar and back hinge but removed the rack myself To do this I pulled into the other side of my garage with it being a two car garage I used the rail frame from the garage door track and put ratchet straps across the frame and under the rack I then lifted the rack up and with both ratchet straps so it laid flat and drove out only lifted it about and inch and it was more just for support Whether a good Idea or not it worked and after I went to the other side of the garage to remove the hard top with my hoist I just reversed back under the roof rack I haven't repeated this process yet cause it took me a good couple hours as I actually did try to remove the rack myself and realized that would be really dofficult
How difficult is it to remove at the hinge point in the rear? This is my only option at this point.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrEman81
How difficult is it to remove at the hinge point in the rear? This is my only option at this point.
It's just two nuts and two bolts. One on either side. Easy. Take you longer to get the right size wrench
Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any of you gobi users have to relocate your sat. radio antenna?

Quick Reply: Show off your Gobi roof rack.