Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Waldo's 1 Ton Build Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waldo's 1 Ton Build Thread

I have been waiting for this day for years. Somehow my D30 bounced 37's off rocks for two years before it finally bit the dust last weekend. I now have the excuse I needed to get a set of 1 tons under my JKU. After making calls to 40+ scrap yards in the area, I found a D60 and a Sterling 10.5 out of an 08 F250 that I will be using. The plan is to use the Artec Industries Truss/Swap Kits for both front and rear. After those and the new driveshafts show up things will start to get a bit more interesting. Here is a picture of the 1 tons as they were loaded on the trailer. As you can tell, I'll be around the torch and plasma cutter while I wait for brown Santa.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	606405
Old 04-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Former Member

Subscribed!

www.overlandoff-road.com
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait. I'm wanting to do this myself.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you get some time, add a cost of parts and/or hours labor involved for each step along the way.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it from a guy who spent too many hours cutting cast on the front axle - use a portaband. Cuts like butter. Plasma is a mess on the thick cast (and enough heat to crack it). Cutoff wheels get stuck after you get about 1/4" in. Sawzall is worthless.

When you cut the 2" of cast from the driver side tube, don't run a blade into the plug welds. They're made of some sort of titanium/unicorn semen. Cut around and use an air hammer and it will pop off.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

So far, I have $1,260 into the axles (including $100 in core charges) and $840 in the two truss kits (including $100 in shipping.) I have yet to order drive shafts as I haven't gotten it mocked up to measure yet. I have a pretty good feeling that this project will nickle and dime me to death. I'm sure I'll keep finding little things that need to be replaced. The rear is missing a brake caliper and I haven't checked to see if the rotors can be turned or if those will need to be replaced as well. I also haven't made my way to checking the seals or brake lines. As I continue, more pictures will come.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Take it from a guy who spent too many hours cutting cast on the front axle - use a portaband. Cuts like butter. Plasma is a mess on the thick cast (and enough heat to crack it). Cutoff wheels get stuck after you get about 1/4" in. Sawzall is worthless. When you cut the 2" of cast from the driver side tube, don't run a blade into the plug welds. They're made of some sort of titanium/unicorn semen. Cut around and use an air hammer and it will pop off.
Unicorn semen is the toughest shit ever

www.overlandoff-road.com
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karmynsbeep
Unicorn semen is the toughest shit ever www.overlandoff-road.com
Unicorn semen.... Isnt that one of the ingredients in JB Weld?
Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Got my hands on a portaband and agree that it's the way to go. It still took quite a bit of time to get through though. The front D60 came with all of the steering components, arms, and shocks. Everything is off, although, it's rough. Including the trips to the hardware store for new blades, time to search for sockets, and beer breaks, I have about 11 hours into it so far. My back is aching and my knuckles are bloody. The trusses are on their way, I hope to have them by the middle of next week.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Also, I am now in the market for some 8X170 beadlocks. Suggestions?

Quick Reply: Waldo's 1 Ton Build Thread