Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

What's the largest tires we can run on the stock 16" steel rims?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the largest tires we can run on the stock 16" steel rims?

I've seen a JK with 35's on the stock 16" rim. Is that safe to ride and go off roading?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is typically not tire height that limits wheel compatability, but tire thickness.

Depending on your wheel width, certain tire manufacturers will not recommend them to be mounted on a given wheel.

For example, for a 12.50" wide tire, the tire manufacturer might say it's best for a 8"-10" wide wheel. If your wheel was only 7" wide, it might not be recommended for use.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ's08JK
I've seen a JK with 35's on the stock 16" rim. Is that safe to ride and go off roading?
Lots of variables. Just looking at tires for the rim size i bet you could fit some pretty big tires on that rim. I kniw ive seen they make 46" on a 16.maybe larger...
Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

I think I'm going to stick with my 18s. Sounds a little risky mounting 35 or even 37s with a 8" width on a rim 7" wide. Thanks for the tips though, it's been very helpful.

Originally Posted by Maertz
Lots of variables. Just looking at tires for the rim size i bet you could fit some pretty big tires on that rim. I kniw ive seen they make 46" on a 16.maybe larger...
Old 02-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I think you're missing the point that's trying to come across. Tire width is important in relation to wheel width. Actual wheel diameter doesn't matter here.

Despite the internet myths, I've had 12.5" tires on wheel widths from 6" to 10" and never died in a horrific crash or had a tire spontaneously unmount itself.

Do as you please though.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly. Years back basically all off-road tires were made for 15" diameter wheels. Massive, huge tires. If you want a mount a 35x12.50 on a 16x7 wheel, you'll likely not have any concerns at all.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

I got the point actually but now I'm trying to make a decision on which style of rim to mount. Thanks for the tips!!

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I think you're missing the point that's trying to come across. Tire width is important in relation to wheel width. Actual wheel diameter doesn't matter here. Despite the internet myths, I've had 12.5" tires on wheel widths from 6" to 10" and never died in a horrific crash or had a tire spontaneously unmount itself. Do as you please though.

Quick Reply: What's the largest tires we can run on the stock 16" steel rims?