Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Where have your Duratracs been?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where have your Duratracs been?

Looking at getting the Duratracs and am a little concerned about the sidewall. There are many threads about this but I want to see where you have taken your DTs and if you have had any issues. So post up some pics! I'll be using them in Moab, Colorado and Wyoming. Thanks!

2011JKUR with stuff.....
Old 10-29-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy the Kevlar no issues , I've had 2 sets already with zero issues. I run them in all types of terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk . Rich
Old 10-29-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Check out DigitalByDoiron on YouTube. Plenty of videos of where mine have been. And where I had a sidewall puncture. I changed from airing down to 15 to airing down to 20 because of that failure, plus now carry two spares on certain trips. The Kinta 2 video has a few rough, rocky climbs. I did not drive my Jeep on the Colorado Campaign, but the one I'm riding in runs Duratracs, too.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys

2011 JKUR, manual trans and some other stuff.....
Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

My Duratracs are daily driven year-round, and have also taken my through the Whipsaw Trail and Moab as well as lots of other offroad trails.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

My Duratrac's have been on Craigslist. I got a new rear bumper and with the added weight it was like driving on marshmallows. Just went to Toyo 37s with load rating E. My duratrac's were rated D. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4001902130.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	582225

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-382114292.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	582226
Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

On computer now instead of phone. Here are some pics ...

The Road to Nowhere, Big Bend Ranch State Park, TX. You get to drive over cactus and stuff on this lightly traveled, overgrown trail (recommended by the rangers, so don't anyone get their panties in bunch that we were off the trail--no one goes to this very remote, 300,000 acre park--2500 total visitors in 2008--and very, very few go on this particularly remote trail into the center of a collapsed volcano) ...

High up in the Gila National Forest, NM. Photo shot from within my Jeep. Duratracs are marvelous on the snowy, icy dirt roads ...

North Puerto Blanco Drive in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, AZ ...

Tatahatso Point on Navajo lands in AZ. That is Grand Canyon National Park you see in front of me. We would camp on the very edge of it that night ...

Headed to Devil's Den State Park and Buckhorn OHV Trails along a dirt road through the AR backways ...

Along the Ozark Overland Trail/High Water Mark Trail in AR ...

Camped at Hardscrabble, White Rim Trail, Canyonlands National Park, UT ...

Left Hand Collett Canyon, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, UT. Again, photo shot from my Jeep ...

Bentonite Hills, Capitol Reef National Park, UT. Shot from within my Jeep ...

K-Trail, southeast OK. Shot from within my Jeep ...

San Bois Mountains near Kinta, OK (this is all private land now, so please don't go there anymore) ...

The Jeep I rode in during Colorado Campaign. 33" Duratracs. On Blanca Peak, Como Lake Road ...

As I wrote above, the videos on DigitalByDoiron will give you a lot better idea of where my Duratracs have been ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq51rHh8MY
Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the decision to go with Duratracs versus another option comes down to what you intend to do with them and what sacrifices you are willing to make. If you are like the vast majority of the rest of us, most of the use of these tires will go to on road driving while a small part will be off road. However, you need quality performance during those times you are off road. These tires are going to be awesome on road and do very well off road. Now, do you want to sacrifice a lot of on road performance to gain a little bit of off road capability? That's up to you.

I love my Duratracs. My MPGs actually increased when switching from Rubicon wheels/tires to my 35" Duratracs. I also thought handling improved, probably because of backspacing.

The downside is that I have popped a sidewall. It would be hard to say if another tire would have survived that incident or not. A small tree that was down but still a bit rooted caught the sidewall as the tire was turning. The rotating tire dug the tip of the broken tree into the sidewall and it popped. I was on a quick little trail ride with a buddy so I did not air down. The place where this happened was at an unexpected obstacle which turned out to be a disaster in other ways as well. So, this didn't happen during typical trail riding.

Also, my next purchase will probably be Trail Grapplers for no reason other than to try them out as well.

If I had to do it over again, I would absolutely buy these Duratracs. Figure out what it is that you realistically plan to do with them and make the choice.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For snow and ice covered roads, can't beat the Duratracs. Coming from living in Minn. to now Arkansas, I know what these tires can do and even running them here at Superlift off road park on the easy trails up to a 3 aired down to 18 they do very well.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the replies and info, it all helps. Mark I have watched your videos and am pretty sure my local credit union used a pic of your Jeep to advertise their auto loans.

2011 JKUR, manual trans and some other stuff.....

Quick Reply: Where have your Duratracs been?