Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

*HELP* Buying the Jeep JK as a first car?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *HELP* Buying the Jeep JK as a first car?

My family has been looking for first cars for me lately and after going to the badlands off road park (Attica, IN) with my friend in his jeep I decided that I just had to have it. I think I want the 2012 sport unlimited but not sure if the two door or four door is better. What else do I need to know to make an educated decision? Gas mileage..hard top etc help anyone???
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A newer wrangler as a first vehicle isn't the best idea. If you just have to get one then look for these few things

What gears it has?
Get under it and look for scratches on the frame rails or skid plates?
Gas mileage will be around 19mpg but that's stock.
I would go with a hard top but soft tops are nice in the summer.
Also if they say anything about a powertrain warranty get it in writing.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

You seem to have some good thoughts on this topic! Mine is similar but with a few more questions, can you help me out? Username is grambo5301
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2013639194.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	405090  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

I bought a new 2012 2dr 6spd hardtop sport in April. I had a WJ for my first car, but I've always wanted a wrangler so when the WJ was totaled I thought I'd do it.

I love it and wouldn't change anything about it, but there are a few things that can be slightly annoying. 2 door if you plan on driving people around. Getting in and out of the back seat is commonly compared to emerging from a womb. Hard top is cumbersome to take off on your own. It's doable with 1 person, but having someone help makes it more manageable. There is not a lot of room to haul anything. I was used to piling camping gear, lowes runs, tires, etc. in the back of the WJ, so the storage on the JK is frequently an issue. But probably the only thing I might do differently is not get black.

Things I really like: I got 3.73s with the limited slip diff. I figured it's better than nothing until I decide to regear and get lockers. I got bluetooth, which I originally thought was stupid...it's a jeep...but it's pretty helpful for me to talk and not worry about shifting. Freedom panels. If I don't feel like going to the trouble of taking the entire top off I'll just take off the freedom panels. Gas mileage...my commute is 25 miles each way to work and I average about 19-20 mpg, which was a huge improvement over the WJ. Resale value is also a huge plus.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Those are just a few thoughts based on my experience. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A Jeep Wrangler as a first vehicle isn't a horrible idea.

What's your budget?
What do you want to do with it?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the most mom and dad will allow.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk_sea
A Jeep Wrangler as a first vehicle isn't a horrible idea.

What's your budget?
What do you want to do with it?
I got my jku as a first vehicle and im hooked if i trade my jeep im getting a new jeep jk but im not buying anything else!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyamaharaptorxx
My family has been looking for first cars for me lately and after going to the badlands off road park (Attica, IN) with my friend in his jeep I decided that I just had to have it. I think I want the 2012 sport unlimited but not sure if the two door or four door is better. What else do I need to know to make an educated decision? Gas mileage..hard top etc help anyone???
Welcome aboard

If you can get a new JK, why not.

The 4-door (JKU - 'Unlimited') -
More room for & entry/exit convenience, when 2 or more join you.
More storage space - for a day (or more) trips.
Better road behavior.
More capable in most of the more extreme offroad situations.

The 2-door (JK) -
More sporty feeling.
Smaller turning radius.
Less directional stability, which necessitates constant steering corrections.
More jumpy on road/trail irregularities (due to the shorter wheelbase).
It's basically comfortable for 2, not more.
Little storage space.

Whichever you choose, better get it with AT (All-Terrain) tires, e.g. 245/75/17, rather than road tires. Road tires wouldn't give you enough grip for offroading.

Taking some offroading classes would make you familiar with the Jeep and its' capabilities much quicker than trial & error, increase your confidence, teach you what can be done and what you should be careful with, and basic recovery techniques.
Such classes speed up the learning curve, and save you mistakes. Non-beginners, too, often find that they gain from such classes.

The next step would probably be bigger wheels, lift & bumpers -- but I'd wait with that.
The stock Jeep is quite a capable beast. I think it's better to first drive it as-is, and mod it later, when you know the machine and form your personal preferences.

Good luck

Last edited by GJeep; 01-05-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: *HELP* Buying the Jeep JK as a first car?