Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

1/2 doors arrived damaged , now what?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 doors arrived damaged , now what?

I purchased a set of bestop element 1/2 doors from another member. They arrived from UPS the outer edges of both doors were bent up pretty bad and the latches on both tube doors were also jacked up. The shipper said I would have to take it up with UPS , but he didn't put insurance on the item. How should this play out? Have i lost my money and am I stuck with 2 unuseable doors?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lowe516
I purchased a set of bestop element 1/2 doors from another member. They arrived from UPS the outer edges of both doors were bent up pretty bad and the latches on both tube doors were also jacked up. The shipper said I would have to take it up with UPS , but he didn't put insurance on the item. How should this play out? Have i lost my money and am I stuck with 2 unuseable doors?
You're screwed. You should have asked the shipper to insure them. Ups covers up to $100 without purchased insurance. The shipper should have packed them better too. How much did they cost you? That's your fee for the lesson, sorry to say.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Super Freak

How did you pay for them? If Paypal, you can open a claim against them for damaged item received.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

I paid with paypal.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

435$ paypal
Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you happen to file a claim? Curious on the results.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm the seller. I am currently sitting in an ER and filing a claim in the morning. I am annoyed at ups.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

I am currently in the dispute process where you try to resolve the problem before you escalate it to a full blown claim. The seller blames UPS and initially said that nothing was his fault, asking if I could just bend it back. He packaged both of the bestop element doors together. Also he made no efforts to protect the thim metal edges of the door exteriors( the outside cover that mounts to the tube doors). He pretty much wrapped a flattend cardboard box around both doors together and expected everything to be handled like glass( weighing over 70lbs). I agreed that ups did the damage but everything I find says that shipping insurance is to protect the shipper , not the buyer( paypal forums). Also insurance is .35 cents per 100$ in value. The package is 100% the shippers responsibility until in the buyers hands.i bought these doors being told they just needed to be painted. Every corner is bent, one is almost crimpped. The edges where the hinge pins mount are jacked up and the latches on the tube doors are both bent far from where they should be( seller told me the hinges shouldn't be bent- told me to just bend them back). UPS only covers uninsured items up to a maximum 100$ payout to the seller. However it appears UPS will deny any fault 99% of the time due to crappy packaging ( still waiting on UPS verdict). The seller has offered no more than 80$ back on my 435$ cost. I wanted a refund, but shipper has declined saying I am trying to "extort" money from him on used doors. My last offer before I'm going to file the final claim was for the 80$ he was offering and for the 100$ from UPS if they payout on the damage. Seller says I'm crazy to ask for this because the exteriors only cost 160$ new- Im aware of this but the damage to the exterior covers plus the bent damage to the tube door latches and the fact I paid 85$ for shipping , I feel what I have asked for is reasonable. Especially if you consider 100$ could be from UPS.
I am in no way bashing the seller and some of you guys may think I'm being unreasonable. In the end, I may end up with nothing but some bent doors that I can't currently use. I once worked as a shipping mgr. for a small factory. The buyer has no way of making sure their package is properly packaged and insured. It is the shippers responsibility.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3241941709.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	444500   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2928037513.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	444501   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1052925480.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	444502   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-130561636.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	444503  
Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am currently in the dispute process where you try to resolve the problem before you escalate it to a full blown claim. The seller blames UPS and initially said that nothing was his fault, asking if I could just bend it back. He packaged both of the bestop element doors together. Also he made no efforts to protect the thim metal edges of the door exteriors( the outside cover that mounts to the tube doors). He pretty much wrapped a flattend cardboard box around both doors together and expected everything to be handled like glass( weighing over 70lbs). I agreed that ups did the damage but everything I find says that shipping insurance is to protect the shipper , not the buyer( paypal forums). Also insurance is .35 cents per 100$ in value. The package is 100% the shippers responsibility until in the buyers hands.i bought these doors being told they just needed to be painted. Every corner is bent, one is almost crimpped. The edges where the hinge pins mount are jacked up and the latches on the tube doors are both bent far from where they should be( seller told me the hinges shouldn't be bent- told me to just bend them back). UPS only covers uninsured items up to a maximum 100$ payout to the seller. However it appears UPS will deny any fault 99% of the time due to crappy packaging ( still waiting on UPS verdict). The seller has offered no more than 80$ back on my 435$ cost. I wanted a refund, but shipper has declined saying I am trying to "extort" money from him on used doors. My last offer before I'm going to file the final claim was for the 80$ he was offering and for the 100$ from UPS if they payout on the damage. Seller says I'm crazy to ask for this because the exteriors only cost 160$ new- Im aware of this but the damage to the exterior covers plus the bent damage to the tube door latches and the fact I paid 85$ for shipping , I feel what I have asked for is reasonable. Especially if you consider 100$ could be from UPS.
I am in no way bashing the seller and some of you guys may think I'm being unreasonable. In the end, I may end up with nothing but some bent doors that I can't currently use. I once worked as a shipping mgr. for a small factory. The buyer has no way of making sure their package is properly packaged and insured. It is the shippers responsibility.
The shipper is responsible to pack the items in a way so that they should not become damaged if handled reasonably.

Under no circumstance should the buyer be out money because of poor packing on the sellers part. The fact that the doors are used is not relevant, the sale price took that into account. If the buyer said the doors had no damage to them when you bought them then there should be no damage to them when you received them, if there is damage it is the seller who needs to make things right.

If I buy something from Northridge or another vender and the product arrives damaged I let the vendor know and they resolve things.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

HOLY SHIT

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: 1/2 doors arrived damaged , now what?