Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

1st time buyer.....need advice

Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by United States of Stance
As long as you buy a 2011 and up you will be fine! I love my jeep, at first i didn't think i was going to like it, but I love everything about it.
Unless the price is too good to pass up, not sure why anyone would buy a 2011 over a 2012. The engine change in 2012 is a drastic improvement over 2011 and comes with 10% better gas mileage.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $.02, I would send a mass email to the sales departments of the 10 dealerships nearest you, and Make sure that you don't blind CC. You want them all to know who they are competing against. You should look for at least 5% under invoice. Close to that and it's still probably a good deal.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WackyBob
Hello JK Forum! This is my first post and I'm needing some advice. We are thinking about buying a 4 door Wrangler and we prefer to purchase new. I consider myself a Corvette expert and with Corvettes I would typically never purchase from my local dealerships because they tend to overcharge. I'm an active member of Corvette Forum and they are a half dozen Forum approved dealerships across the country that always have the best deals. Are Jeeps the same way? And if so what dealerships are usually the best on price? Thanks WackyBob!
Recommend you start by seeing if TreadLightly
Membership still gets 1% below invoice price; if so, start there and negotiate down.

The more patient you are and the more dealers you send your specs to, the better the results.

Specifying build to own also lets you compare "apples-to-apples" in regards to finding the dealer that will give the lowest price.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The only dealer I know of that offers huge discounts on Wranglers is Koons in Tysons Corner, VA. Look on jeepgarage and there is a forum page dedicated to the offer from Koons. They are typically well below invoice typically at employee pricing.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by doc5339
Recommend you start by seeing if TreadLightly
Membership still gets 1% below invoice price; if so, start there and negotiate down.

The more patient you are and the more dealers you send your specs to, the better the results.

Specifying build to own also lets you compare "apples-to-apples" in regards to finding the dealer that will give the lowest price.
I would agree with this. I just bought a 2016 Rubicon Hard Rock and I tried to use treadlightly, BUTTTTTTTTt...... you need to be a member for 30 days before the discount can be applied, hence, I didn't use the discount. I got the jeep for just about invoice price, maybe a touch under.

There are some dealerships in Texas that show the pricing on the website. I used those printouts and took them to my local dealer since they had generally what I wanted in stock. I was looking for an all white Rubicon, with the white hard top, in automatic, due to the hot summer's we have here in El Paso. They had a Hard Rock in that exact configuration, so I printed out several hard rock jeeps and used that as my starting point for negotiations.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Jeeps are going to be priced differently in different states due to the popularity and what that state offers for terrain. For instance, here in California I purchased a brand new 2016 JKU Sport with 10 miles on it but my brother up in Washington State purchased a 2012 for a couple grand more. Personally, I spent several months watching several dealerships near me to find what I wanted for how much I wanted to spend. Make sure you have a good idea of how much they go for normally and do your research before hand. Good luck and post a picture of your new Jeep!

A tip, if you want to see what the dealership has on the lot without getting bothered, go at night when the sales people go home. Easy to walk around a see what they have.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

I came from the 'Vette world as well. I got Koons in Tyson's Corner to match the Kerbecks price on my Z06.
I have never seen a "jeep equivalent" to Kerbecks. As mentioned above, location plays a role in the motivation of dealers. After moving to Utah, I sold my Vette and my Grand Cherokee to get my current ride (JKUR). Jeeps are so popular here that you can only do so much dealing.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by United States of Stance
As long as you buy a 2011 and up you will be fine! I love my jeep, at first i didn't think i was going to like it, but I love everything about it.
Early Pentastars had serious problems. 2011 and 2012 are the worst JKs. Avoid those years.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Early Pentastars had serious problems. 2011 and 2012 are the worst JKs. Avoid those years.
To clarify for those who may not know, the 2011 model year wrangler did not have the pentastar. I can see how one would want to avoid the 2012 and early build 2013's due to the head concern. However, my 2012 is going very strong at 85,000 miles. I haven't had any problems. I am thrilled with its performance and reliability. I sure would like to know some statistics about number of 2012's and 2013's built vs how many have had head issues.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 2012 is going really strong at 125,200 miles. I had the head problem at about 13,000 and the dealership fixed it at no cost to me. Other than that I've not had any major problems. This is my 7th Jeep vehicle in a row and one of the most reliable.

Mac

Quick Reply: 1st time buyer.....need advice