Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 door to 4 door

Old 05-11-2015, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 door to 4 door

I'm trading my soft top manual 2 door X in for a 3 piece hard top auto unlimited Rubicon. Besides the obvious immediate upgrades, what are the pros and cons of going to the 4 door that I my not know about? any help is good help. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can comfortably fit 4 female college students in a 4 door, along with enough room in the back for two igloo 80 quart coolers and 6 cases of beer and ice. The improved load capacity of the 4 door due to the stiffer springs will aid in load capacity for hauling said booty and beer. You'll also find a better towing capability handy if you elect to pull your single bed camper along for the ride.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best explanation ive read in awhile ^^^
Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalitri35
I'm trading my soft top manual 2 door X in for a 3 piece hard top auto unlimited Rubicon. Besides the obvious immediate upgrades, what are the pros and cons of going to the 4 door that I my not know about? any help is good help. Thanks.
On road, the longer wheelbase is less jumpy and has better directional stability = less of the frequent steering correction.
Coming from a 2-dr, you'll appreciate it.

Off road, the 4-dr is more capable in more situations than the other way around.
In very tight turns, the 2-dr has the advantage.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had an '07 JK 2dr for 3 years before buying my Unlimited in 2010. The only thing I miss about my 2dr is the nimbleness. Whipping it in and out of tight paralelle parking spaces and just turning right into parking spaces in a lot. The thing was like a go cart. I also miss the traditional look of the 2dr. The four door rides better and has more cargo room obviously. The soft top is a bit more work on the 4dr as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you are gonna love it
I went from a 97 manual TJ to my 08 auto JKUR I absolutely love it I do a bit of Rick crawling and don't miss the manual at all the only loss I have noticed is the larger turning radius which causes me to have to make point turns occasionally on trails where my buddies 2 doors would handle it just fine however my longer wheelbase makes up for it on the extremely steep stuff by not feeling like it is going to go end over also on some obstacles my fronts are over an obstacle as my rears are starting into one the reverse is true also though where my fronts and rears are both fighting to climb at the same time the only other slight issue I have is I need more lift to get my belly over the same obstacles the 2 doors clear easily
Man you are gonna love the lockers though
Congratulations man enjoy
Old 05-11-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 92 YJ to a 08 JKUR and now have a 12 JKR. The extra room was nice but I didn't like the size and have no need for a passenger in the rear seat. I am in the minority though as the JKU out sells the JK year after year. Many people didn't buy a Jeep because the 2 dr didn't have enough room for them. The Unlimited was a very good marketing move for Chrysler.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Went from a 2010 4 door to a 2015 2 door. 4 Door was good to me. But, i only want a mild 2-3" build with 35s, and the 4 door kept getting hung up and scraping on ledges. No kids, no chance of kids(according to doc). Just 2 dogs. Plus, putting the top on the 4 door was a pian. As was taking off 4 doors every other day in KY weather. Rain, no rain, rain, no rain. And since i dont have a garage, i had to carry my 4 doors inside, and take up more room. I had no convience factor for the 4 door. It was actually the opposite. So dumping the 3.8, getting a new 2015 with a new warranty, having a 2 door to cut thru the trails in the woods we have here, and not having to lug around 4 doors and a top all the time made it a no brainer. Not that im saying it was bad. Just my experience. If you have a reason for a 4 door, go for it. Its still a Jeep and a blast. But if you really dont, dont be like me and regret it.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a 2012 Sahara 2 door and now I have a 2013 4 door Rubicon. Iam more into camping outlanding "expedition" thing.

I like the fact that You can store alot of stuff under the backseat and is hidden, not so possible with the 2 door. Also the 4 door have more storage under the front seats.

The 4 door makes a great sleeping platform for 2 adults, not all vehicles can do that.

Nice room for 2 adults looking at video and such in bad weather or at evening.

I really like my frontrunner interior rack, when sleeping I put some of my stuff on it to clear the floor for sleeping pad.

My movie here when sleeping and my interior rack shows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzKHG_3JcU I do miss the vertical bar that I had in my 2 door over the trunk, I can not fit my net at the ceiling for clothes and other stuff.

Here is the raingler net in a 2 door attached to the vertical bars, not possible in the 4 door, but possible over the rear seat but then it will be to tight for adults heads in the back, but with children it will work.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a 4-door Unlimited Rubicon as well as a 2-door Sport.

For the same price as the JKUR, I loaded up the Sport with bumpers, tire carrier, 2.5" lift, winch, 33" tires, rock rails, and a few other miscellaneous things. I still have approximately $1500 left before I'm at the MSRP of the JKUR, and I'm thinking that's going to gears. The Sport has 3.73's but it needs 4.56's at minimum, in my opinion. To do the same thing to the JKUR, according to my expenses, add $7500.

The trails we do with both rigs are typical to the Northwest. The elevation gains/drops can be steep. The surfaces are clay, glacial till, or just rock, sometimes all 3 depending on the trail, lots of off-camber, and very tight through large trees and rocks. These kinds of trails seem to favor shorter vehicles with some modifications. That may not be true on dunes or desert trails, but it's rare/never that we've run those, so from experiences on trips and "seat of the pants", the 2-door is a more agile rig for us.

The advertised benefits of the 4-door are real. It fits more people and more gear, more coolers and beer, more dogs, without complaint. It's more stable on-road and is more comfortable to drive on long trips, fewer steering corrections needed and a much softer ride with the Rubicon suspension versus the AEV suspension on my Sport. It's also more confidence inspiring when towing. Grocery store? Weekend trip to the in-laws? You bet your ass we're taking the "Momicon". The Momicon is a more accomodating rig for us.

The real drawback of the 4-door is its length, and since it's stock, it suffers something awful regarding ground clearance on the same trails. That's pretty obvious in theory, but it becomes blatantly, eye-popping obvious when you get to a trail that's tight between trees, and the thing just will not fit. As a result, it's got a lot more scratches, scrapes, dings, and "oops" or we flat out turn around. Or when it gets hung up on a rock shelf...the locking diffs sure help to drag that undercarriage OVER the rock. Been there, done that. It needs a lift and/or some bigger tires, badly.

So I think that sums it up. Our 2-door is more agile. The 4-door is more accomodating. We love both of them, different advantages and drawbacks for each of them. The 4-door can become more agile with a small lift, but that will not solve its length problem.

I don't think there is a "better option" here, 2-door or 4-door, it's going to depend on your need and also where and how you use the rig. On a steep desert trail, yeah, I'd probably want a little more wheelbase. But when flossing between trees, I want a 2-door. For everyday use, I think a 4-door makes more sense, but even then, my 2-door gets better gas mileage (if that matters).

Quick Reply: 2 door to 4 door