Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2 door to 4 door

Old 05-13-2015, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, first off, I just wanna thank everyone for the in-depth feed back it was way more than I excepted and every helpful.

So I went and picked up my 4dr JKUR yesterday and it was extremely bitter-sweet. I had my 08' 2dr Jk since it had 11 miles on it and I grew very attached to it so letting it go yesterday was harder then I imagined. Being that I've wanted the 4dr Rubi for years now AND it has everything I've ever wanted in a Wrangler, that made it a lot easier to deal with as I was driving away.

First off, I have a two year old daughter who loved my old Jeep as much as I did but it was always a pain getting her in the car seat, so having the second set of doors and being able to access her car seat is amazing! she's a little confused as to what happened to her jeep but she seems to like this one so far. the hard top is also amazing, much quieter than my previous soft top, and the fact the the rear window lifts up and I can actually get to the rear cargo area with out ducking under my plastic window is super convenient, love that as well as having a rear window that has a wiper blade to clean thee window so I can actually see through it un like my old soft top. The new jeep is also auto trans w/ cruise control and all that fancy jazz on the steering wheel as opposed to my manual transmission, manual everything jeep before, so its much easier to drive. The cargo room is amazing, I definitely like that picture of the air mattress in there, never woulda thought of that, and that video is a very nice example of using every inch of that space in the 4 dr, I like it. The turning radius award definitely goes to the 2dr, I am going to miss that a lot and I'll prolly miss the ease of dropping the top too but I'm in VA/NC now instead of Cali, so there's less opportunities to do so any how. I spent a lot of time rock crawling in So Cal before I was transferred to the east coast so now I have to learn to like the mud or drive pretty far north Or south to get back on some rock trails. My 2dr was very basic and just having a key fob with remote start and an alarm system was a huge step up for me, it's awesome.

I'm sure there will be plenty of things that I discover about the ole battle wagon that I'll like and not like but this was obviously a massive upgrade from my previous JK. I know I'll need a lift and bigger tires eventually and everything else that I had on my old jeep, but that will comes with time. For now I'll just throw my steel bumper, winch, lights, and all that other stuff back on and keep on mod'ing and building. Thanks again for all the input, just wanted to follow up with everyone who threw some advice my way.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations !

Did you notice the 40% power increase ?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in this same basket...owned an '08 JKR the past 3 years, and this past weekend picked up a '12 JKUR. Loving it so far but now I have to pay attention to all the 12-up nuances I used to ignore on the forums and forget the previous details.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I traded my 08 2dr rubicon, that I had for 6 years for a 2015 JKU Willys. It was the best decision I ever made. They gave me a generous amount for my 08, I love the new engine, interior, and extra space.

Ps. I also have a TJ, so that helps.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's like comparing old Cherokee to the old Wranglers... the vehicles have different prices and different purposes.

If you want to haul more people and more stuff and have extra funds - go with the JKUR. If you mostly drive alone, don't want to spend more on a bigger vehicle, and appreciate the nimbleness, get a two door JK.

I know I am in the minority with children and a two door JK but for my situation it works perfectly. I've done the big vehicle/big truck thing, and learned I don't need it nor desire it.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
It's like comparing old Cherokee to the old Wranglers... the vehicles have different prices and different purposes.

If you want to haul more people and more stuff and have extra funds - go with the JKUR. If you mostly drive alone, don't want to spend more on a bigger vehicle, and appreciate the nimbleness, get a two door JK.

I know I am in the minority with children and a two door JK but for my situation it works perfectly. I've done the big vehicle/big truck thing, and learned I don't need it nor desire it.
I'm with you, junkie.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
I know I am in the minority with children and a two door JK but for my situation it works perfectly.
You're not alone.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

1 wife + 3 kids + 2 dogs + 5 beach chairs + 1 cooler + 1 grill + 3 boogie boards = 4 door jeep for me
Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PaulsBoy
1 wife + 3 kids + 2 dogs + 5 beach chairs + 1 cooler + 1 grill + 3 boogie boards = 4 door jeep for me
Agree. Pictures worth a thousand words, but can't help myself: 3 kids + 1 wife + 2 dogs (one is 80lbs) + 2 wood hammocks + 5 folding chairs + 1 dog bed + 14 gallon gas can + full camping gear + 1 lg cooler = Click image for larger version

Name:	image-183829173.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	612750 and unloading: Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4210090794.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	612751 Sadly, we bought a small bus for family road trips. (Suburban) must say it better suits our needs. Means the Jeep doesn't go to Colorado any more. :(
Sent from some string and a few tin cans.

Last edited by CerOf; 05-28-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

When shopping for my wrangler, I had a baby on the way. I was leaning towards a JKU until I found out the price difference. Ended up getting my 2-door and do not regret it at all. While I don't get the pleasure of loading a bunch of college girls and gear in it, I do get to conserve the mileage and take my wife's civic (saves money too). As for cargo space, my backseat has been removed since day one, and a nice roof rack is in the near future. I mostly use mine as a weekend warrior and work vehicle, so take that for what it's worth. It really boils down to what you can afford, and how motivated you are to work with what you get.

Quick Reply: 2 door to 4 door