Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2007 Rubicon - Mysterious Weirdness Abounds

Old 12-13-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JP.

Well you keep doing nothing....I wanted a fix for my wife's issue and was only sharing our problem.....not claiming I had a fix for the OP
I am just pointing out that it is easy to be misled about whether you actually fixed the issue. You claim a loose terminal fixed it, but it is easy to talk yourself into that. There is a reason there are a lot of JK owners beating the drums for a TIPM recall, and why TIPMs are routinely on national backorder.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:24 AM
JP.
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I am just pointing out that it is easy to be misled about whether you actually fixed the issue. You claim a loose terminal fixed it, but it is easy to talk yourself into that. There is a reason there are a lot of JK owners beating the drums for a TIPM recall, and why TIPMs are routinely on national backorder.

Lol.. Unreal
Old 12-13-2015, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JP.

Lol.. Unreal
Well, a lot more real than believing that the dealer did not test your wife's battery, did not even inspect the battery connection for tightness while troubleshooting an electrical problem, which means the clamps were never touched by the dealer and that they were definitely the cause of your problem. I am not disputing what you've written. I'm just pointing out that the TIPM is very difficult to pin down until it totally fails.

You seem to have a problem with that. Then prove to me that your loose terminal was the problem. What voltage drop did you measure across the terminal when it was malfunctioning, and what were the test conditions? Specifically, at what current draw did you see the voltage drop?

If you didn't run a test, then you're in the same boat as me--uncertain if or when it will happen again. You have no proof that you isolated and fixed the issue--just as I didn't when I pulled the TIPM and reseated everything and the problem went away for a year.
Old 12-13-2015, 10:29 AM
JP.
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Well, a lot more real than believing that the dealer did not test your wife's battery, did not even inspect the battery connection for tightness while troubleshooting an electrical problem, which means the clamps were never touched by the dealer and that they were definitely the cause of your problem. I am not disputing what you've written. I'm just pointing out that the TIPM is very difficult to pin down until it totally fails. You seem to have a problem with that. Then prove to me that your loose terminal was the problem. What voltage drop did you measure across the terminal when it was malfunctioning, and what were the test conditions? Specifically, at what current draw did you see the voltage drop? If you didn't run a test, then you're in the same boat as me--uncertain if or when it will happen again. You have no proof that you isolated and fixed the issue--just as I didn't when I pulled the TIPM and reseated everything and the problem went away for a year.

I took it to the dealer only to check codes... I'm
Fully capable of testing a battery and checking terminals ..... But you seem to know exactly what I did/didn't do..... So stop trying to play jeep God and enjoy life.

Back to the op... I hope you get yours figure out
Old 12-13-2015, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the information so far. I will definitely check the battery, although the battery is only three years old. I'll check the terminals, too. We've got some pretty lousy roads in DC...maybe something rattled loose?

Could you tell me what a TIPM is? It sounds complex and expensive.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Tipm....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-174919/
Old 12-13-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
That's super cool. Thanks for the information/tips.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplug the connection under the throttle body, clean or plug back in. This sends the signal for the throttle. Worth the 15 seconds

if you can read this, my Jeep is broken....
Old 12-30-2015, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

I haven't done anything yet....the problem seemed to just go away....

...and then it happened again. Two more times.

Both days were warmer than normal, humid, and involved stop-and-go traffic. As of today, it seems that the radio has started changing stations randomly on its own. Which tells me that I oughta bite the bullet and get the TIPM replaced - I'm worried it's going to happen to my wife and cause an accident.

So. I am guessing I just buy one and take it to the dealer to be programmed/reinstalled? What am I looking at for labor, reasonably?
Old 12-30-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by bill_h
I haven't done anything yet...
Don't spend money on a TIPM until you check the battery and connections. That check is free. That way, if/when problem returns, you'll have eliminated the free stuff.

Edit: To be clear, based on my experience, I am skeptical that it will fix it. But that doesn't mean don't try it. I have seen weak batteries cause Jeep weirdness. But they were always accompanied by normal bad battery problems, too: Weak or no crank, weak headlights, etc.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-30-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Rubicon - Mysterious Weirdness Abounds