Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 JKU died while driving

Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 JKU died while driving

So there I was, no sh&t......

Last Friday I was driving the long way home (via trails) and hit a series of 6" or so puddles. Had to use the wipers. Had to downshift. 30 feet past the last puddle the Jeep died. It switched off like I turned the key or something. I had 2 hours on my cell phone out there to play with google. I checked the air intake for water, I checked the fuse like things in front of the battery, I disconnected said battery. I did everything but track down a small woodland animal and sacrifice it to the Jeep gods. Still wouldn't start. Would crank but not light off. Had it towed to dealer. They sat on it over the weekend and called me today. "Needs new fuel line and fuel pump." Will be covered by warranty but will take a week to get parts. I don't know if the puddles were red herrings or not. Thoughts? (Pertaining to this issue at hand )
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy_Gun74
So there I was, no sh&t......

Last Friday I was driving the long way home (via trails) and hit a series of 6" or so puddles. Had to use the wipers. Had to downshift. 30 feet past the last puddle the Jeep died. It switched off like I turned the key or something. I had 2 hours on my cell phone out there to play with google. I checked the air intake for water, I checked the fuse like things in front of the battery, I disconnected said battery. I did everything but track down a small woodland animal and sacrifice it to the Jeep gods. Still wouldn't start. Would crank but not light off. Had it towed to dealer. They sat on it over the weekend and called me today. "Needs new fuel line and fuel pump." Will be covered by warranty but will take a week to get parts. I don't know if the puddles were red herrings or not. Thoughts? (Pertaining to this issue at hand )
I could see the stall from water if something got wet enough or you ingested some water into the intake. Don't see how a 6" puddle affected the fuel system though. Probably just coincidence?

Fuel pumps can suddenly just fail, although I have to wonder whats up with the fuel line replacement.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Yeah...thought it was weird. Will know more when I go pick it up. I half wonder if they damaged line when troubleshooting pump
Old 04-09-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hope they get up and runnin soon . dont see how fuel lines could have got tweaked . less they did it lowering tank to ck pump
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Problem solved!!

So it seams that the water wasn't completely a red herring. Strap in for this one:

The water did get sucked into the poorly placed intake and soaked the filter, thereby stalling the engine out. But strangely, at the same instant is when the fuel pump decided to die. After two weeks of the dealer doing some parts ordering, parts installing, and parts reordering due to breaking them on installing, I got my baby back. There was a kinked fuel line from the factory that has been making the fuel pump run extra hard. Apparently it decided to die a the most inopportune time. But all is well because now I have a Rugged Ridge snorkel to install after I get my Jeep back from a re-gearing! Whew!

Quick Reply: 2012 JKU died while driving