Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Manual Remote starter installation -- I think I got burnt

Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Manual Remote starter installation -- I think I got burnt

Hey guys -- let me give you the back story to what's going on..

On christmas, my girlfriend surprised me with a Viper VSS4000 Remote start unit, as well as the promise to get it installed before February. Fast-forward to today, she drops the Jeep off at a retail store at 9am, a semi-reputable aftermarket etc store. She gets the call saying that because of the liability to install it on a manual (which she MADE SURE they were OK with prior to install date) that they would have to outsource me to another "guy" who does them. She shows up at close time, they show her the sequence and how well it installed, then she pays cash to the OWNER of the establishment and leaves with no invoice. (again, liability)

We go through the process, stop the car, put it into neutral, pull the e-brake, hit "Start button" and remove the key. We get out of the car, lock it and it shuts off. Upon hitting "start" again, it fired right up! Excellent! ... Had an idea. Got back in it, drove to an empty lot, left it in gear, and cranked up the e-brake. Stayed in the car with the doors UNLOCKED, and hit "start". The jeep TRIED to lurch to life, despite the "Sequence" not being done!

To make matters worse, my CEL came on while leaving the parking lot. Pulled the "Clutch Position sensor high" code. I'm guessing that they did a hack job to make the jeep think the clutch is depressed ....

WHAT DO I DO? I can't really take any legal action, and haven't yet contact the shop.

AS FOR THE JEEP, what can I do to get this code off until I can find a shop that WILL install it correctly!

Thank you..
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Viper in my Jeep and I do that sequence all winter long for the last 3 years. I can't complete the sequence unless I have my ebrake on and the motor is running. Viper has the sequence, they provide the proper parts for a proper install. The guy probably thought he was doing you a favor. I would take it back and complain that is unsafe and they need to follow Viper's install instructions and not make their own up.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would have called them from the parking lot. They messed it up they should fix it.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by atc22
I would have called them from the parking lot. They messed it up they should fix it.
^ my thoughts exactly. Can't help with code. good luck!

Quick Reply: 2012 Manual Remote starter installation -- I think I got burnt