Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2012 Transmission Question

Old 12-18-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Transmission Question

Sorry if this question has been asked before... couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I'm looking at ordering a 2012 Rubicon with max tow and 4.10 gearing... but I will be going up to at least 33's, possibly 35's at some point. I know the 5spd auto trans is supposed to be awesome, but will moving up to a 33 inch tire require me to use something like an AEV ProCal to fix the shift points? Will it be required with 35's? I'm right at home with a 6spd trans(though my wife isn't), but from what I've read it looks like only the auto trans was improved... is that right?

Right now I'm stuck with the manual vs auto decision... which was much easier with the 3.8/4spd auto vs 6spd(go with the 6spd!) IMHO. So do I:

a) get the 6 spd manual and not have a newly/better engineered trans (I assume it isn't, haven't read otherwise)

b) get the 5 spd auto trans that my wife can drive and possibly require reprogramming for the shift points

I'd like to not void any type of warranty if at all possible... which is why I'm stuck with this issue deciding. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I understand in the end, this is purely a 'up to you' decision... but I don't have all the facts on the 2012 auto vs manual trans. I'll be ordering ASAP, so the sooner the better.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MortuaR
Sorry if this question has been asked before... couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I'm looking at ordering a 2012 Rubicon with max tow and 4.10 gearing... but I will be going up to at least 33's, possibly 35's at some point. I know the 5spd auto trans is supposed to be awesome, but will moving up to a 33 inch tire require me to use something like an AEV ProCal to fix the shift points? Will it be required with 35's? I'm right at home with a 6spd trans(though my wife isn't), but from what I've read it looks like only the auto trans was improved... is that right?

Right now I'm stuck with the manual vs auto decision... which was much easier with the 3.8/4spd auto vs 6spd(go with the 6spd!) IMHO. So do I:

a) get the 6 spd manual and not have a newly/better engineered trans (I assume it isn't, haven't read otherwise)

b) get the 5 spd auto trans that my wife can drive and possibly require reprogramming for the shift points

I'd like to not void any type of warranty if at all possible... which is why I'm stuck with this issue deciding. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

I understand in the end, this is purely a 'up to you' decision... but I don't have all the facts on the 2012 auto vs manual trans. I'll be ordering ASAP, so the sooner the better.
Make the wife happy and get the auto. I drive a 12' with a 6spd because i prefer a standard and my girl enjoys driving a manual as well. Either way you will need a AEV Procal (I just got mine) to adjust the speedo with 33's or 35's. With the procal you can knock out the shift points and speedo, plus they are fairly inexpensive. This won't void any warranty either because you can return it to stock in seconds.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teach her to drive the 6-speed. You will both be happy in the long run. I drive a 2012 charger for work. It's the same 3.6 motor with a 5-speed auto it it gets right along. I think the trans are very diff. Between the two though.... Go test drive them all, worry about the mods later.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rainier
Make the wife happy and get the auto. I drive a 12' with a 6spd because i prefer a standard and my girl enjoys driving a manual as well. Either way you will need a AEV Procal (I just got mine) to adjust the speedo with 33's or 35's. With the procal you can knock out the shift points and speedo, plus they are fairly inexpensive. This won't void any warranty either because you can return it to stock in seconds.
Do you know if the dealer can tell you've been monkeying around with the computer? A stealership 'voided' my drivetrain warranty on my 2011 for going with 33's (no lift or any other mod besides wheels and tires, mind you) so I'm worried about doing something that they could easily blame me for should something go wrong. I'm also going to try to find a mod friendly stealership somewhere local.

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Teach her to drive the 6-speed. You will both be happy in the long run. I drive a 2012 charger for work. It's the same 3.6 motor with a 5-speed auto it it gets right along. I think the trans are very diff. Between the two though.... Go test drive them all, worry about the mods later.
Haha! I can swing it that way... "this new Jeep is so I can teach you how to drive stick!"

Does anyone know if the manual transmission was upgraded as well or was it just the engine on the 6spd? I'd imagine some things would have to change for the trans as well, but I really don't know. I'd ask the local dealerships but I seem to know more about the 2012s than they do.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trans is the same but they did a minimal change in ratios.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NH-JK
Trans is the same but they did a minimal change in ratios.
So... you're only getting a 'new' transmission if you go for the 2012 auto? My 2008 JK and my friend's 2009 both had some light 'chirping' coming from the gearbox (both manual) after about 15k miles.. wonder if that will happen on a 2012 eventually too....
Old 12-22-2011, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

For 2012, there was cleary the big change in auto trannies. There was also a change in the manual tranny, but it was much, much smaller......6th gear had a slight adjustment in the ratio.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drive a '12 with auto and 35s and now have roughly 5k on it. it drives better than my 2010 with 5:13s and 35s ever did. honestly im on the fence about doing anything to the gears because its so drivable. couldnt see going from 4:10S TO 4:88S being worth the money. i think i'm gonna save money for the dana 60s later on
Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

First off, a dealer can't void your warranty. The most he could do in your case is not replace broken u joints or other parts that could POSSIBLY be damaged due to larger tires putting more stress on them. That said, since the Wrangler comes with 32's, they would have a hard case proving that a 1" bigger tire caused a failure. Lookup the Magnasson-Moss warranty act. It prevents them from doing what you are talking about...

Do you know if the dealer can tell you've been monkeying around with the computer? A stealership 'voided' my drivetrain warranty on my 2011 for going with 33's (no lift or any other mod besides wheels and tires, mind you) so I'm worried about doing something that they could easily blame me for should something go wrong. I'm also going to try to find a mod friendly stealership somewhere local.

Haha! I can swing it that way... "this new Jeep is so I can teach you how to drive stick!"

Does anyone know if the manual transmission was upgraded as well or was it just the engine on the 6spd? I'd imagine some things would have to change for the trans as well, but I really don't know. I'd ask the local dealerships but I seem to know more about the 2012s than they do.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What you are hearing about the transmissions is correct. The only real upgrade is the 5spd Auto and from what I hear it is a huge improvement over the previous 4spd. The manual transmission is the same as previous years. I'm not sure what they did in terms of ratios but with my 12' and 35's which is what I am running, there is a significant difference in performance. Before on my 08' with the same wheel/tire set up it was a slug, never ever used 6th gear. However now I use 6th all the time on the highway. Most of this increased performance is due to the new motor and increased HP and torque.

Now for the programmer and the dealership, if I were you I wouldn't be concerned about them voiding your warranty over something like a Procal. Like I said before you can always return it to stock if you would like, it literally takes seconds. As for tire size, if you are really concerned about it ask the dealership before you purchase new tires. However, I agree that nobody is going to void any kind of warranty over moving up an inch in tire size (33's).

It's a good idea to try and find a Mod friendly (independent) dealership. Because if they are independent they can authorize mods as apposed to getting Chrysler involved. I purchased my new Jeep almost an hour away from where I live for this reason alone. They actually swapped all my mods (lift, tires, bumpers, lights) from my 08' to my 12' and didn't charge me labor.

Just remember a happy wife brings a happy life! Go get the auto so both of you can drive it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Quick Reply: 2012 Transmission Question