Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2013 jeep moab hood paint cracking.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 jeep moab hood paint cracking.

My 2013 moab has only 900 miles on it and on either side of the hood scoop the paint started cracking. It looks like scratches but they have the same type of zig zag line. Dealer tried to have it wet sanded but once I got it home you can see marks still in paint and now hood has fine wet sand scratches. I washed the jeep and now a new crack/scratch showed up. Anyone else have a problem with this happening?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	483532   Click image for larger version

Views:	286
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	483533   Click image for larger version

Views:	270
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	483534  

Last edited by Hawksfan9; 08-01-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Mistyped
Old 07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Sucks man
Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like an underlying problem, bondo or something that has been done at the factory before paint. I wouldn't settle for "wet sanding" that would just make me mad. Wet sanding? The paint is cracked! you should get a new hood or a complete new hood paint job. It isnt a pencil mark, you can't just erase it. It is paint, and must be painted blended evened out etc. For the amount of money paid for a MOAB I would be fuming

Last edited by HouseofCards; 07-30-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Agreed. If those are cracks in the paint (hard to tell definitively on the iPad), do not settle for anything less than getting the hood painted. Wet sanding is only a band aid to the issue.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Well dealer got approval to repaint hood. Was told they would take it to bare metal to inspect. I asked for pictures all they did was primer over area and repaint hood. I have not picked up jeep yet as they aren't done yet but I'm pissed. Painting over paint defect is just hiding problem for now. Dealer disagrees says their paint guy knows what he's doing but they don't know what caused problem to begin with. Any suggestions on what to do? Am I right thinking problem will come back after a while? Like after warranty
Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

I'd want a new one from the factory with factory paint on it.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawksfan9
My 2913 moab has only 900 miles on it and on either side of the hood scoop the paint started cracking. It looks like scratches but they have the same type of zig zag line. Dealer tried to have it wet sanded but once I got it home you can see marks still in paint and now hood has fine wet sand scratches. I washed the jeep and now a new crack/scratch showed up. Anyone else have a problem with this happening?
This is a direct result of traveling back 900 years into your past. The paint in 2913 is extremely thin and frail due to the 2945 emissions laws. The lighter and less the jeep has on it the less power and emissions it takes to move down the road or through the time vortex. Also the micrometorites u encounter in the vortex wormhole while traveling faster than the speed of light are scraping past u on the jeeps outer surface. Im surprised really at how well the paint is holding up, considering the abbrasiveness of meteor dust can be. Warrantee work must be tricky on time travel vehicles....i wonder what device the future dealers put on the jeep to ensure that u are still covered?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Check with a couple of body shops first and get a couple of opinions. If they say what he did was fine and should cure the problem keep a copy of the warranty bill they give you when you pick it up. If they say it won't work and that paint guy is wrong, let the dealership know and see what you can work out. The dealership may be taking the paint guys word that the work he did will cure the problem. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2013 jeep moab hood paint cracking.