Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2014 Liberty/Cherokee kiss of death for the Wrangler as we know it?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 Liberty/Cherokee kiss of death for the Wrangler as we know it?

For those who have seen the re-designed 2014 Liberty (aka Cherokee for over seas markets) ,you are probably wondering what's in store for the JK. Last of its kind, doomed by CAFE standards to morph into something alien to its 72 year history? Even though the Wrangler has been declared an "American Icon" by Sergio Marchonne, once the cost/profit figures are in for the "new look", all bets are off. The diesel, available in every country except US and Canada, would give the fuel efficiency numbets needed to preserve the Wranglers form and function .Ironic,considering the "icon" was born here. I am "old school",emphasis on the old ,and grew up with every generation of Jeep. The pandering to demographics, rather than purity of function, is the new normal, as the wide open spaces, the concept of adventure is becoming just that- a concept, not reality.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe vehicles like the new Cherokee actually help to protect the Wrangler. With every high-mileage Cherokee that Jeep sells, it helps to improve the CAFE numbers, making the Wrangler safer from extinction as we know it. Every time you see one of the Jeep-lets on the road, thank them for helping to make the Wrangler possible.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Just saw the pics of the new liberty- now the Cherokee. First thoughts were how fugly it is, and how bad the grill looks. What happened to the classic 7 slots?

It's not for me, but if it keeps jeep in a position to leave the wrangler alone and keep building them then I'm happy!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jared937
I believe vehicles like the new Cherokee actually help to protect the Wrangler. With every high-mileage Cherokee that Jeep sells, it helps to improve the CAFE numbers, making the Wrangler safer from extinction as we know it. Every time you see one of the Jeep-lets on the road, thank them for helping to make the Wrangler possible.
I tend to agree with this
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I think the Wrangler will always try to somewhat stay with it's classic look.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

People like to skrew around with looks of vehicle , look what they did to the mustang ......completely ruined
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2087800842.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	425925  
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 PM
JK Newbie

Great thread topic!,

I have recently been pondering the potential 2016 redesign and the these pictures scare me!! Yes, the newbie wrangler owners (soccer moms and major sales %) want their power tops and improved mpgs, however, where does that leave the "die hard" wrangler fans?? Chrysler needs to decide and with input from us!! Look at the G-class, still the same design from the early 90s, followed by a GL, MLK and GLK class! To meet the heard!

BTW, I traded an 02 sahara 5-speed for a 10 sahara 6-speed. Sold it 3 months later for a civic! 2 years later with rumors of an ecodiesel I amount recovering from my TJ-JK switch disaster) with hopes I will be able to purchase the final wrangler before the kill it! (Sorry, 10th anniversary Rubicon is nice, but give be a JKRU diesel for same price with out the bumper I will replace and red seats I will get dirty!!

Andrew
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

My fab guy here in Ohio takes the engineers and designers from jeep on runs several times a year. He says they are fighting hard to keep the frame construction, solid axels and flat windshield.

I'm sure the redesign could still be bad, but apparently there are a lot of people fighting in the company to keep the icon. Given the recent great sales stats I don't see them rocking the boat. I'm actually excited for the 2016. I guess the windshield is a big item. There had been talk about how the jk looks horrible with it folded and the single hinge/curve isn't working.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tych23
People like to skrew around with looks of vehicle , look what they did to the mustang ......completely ruined
A wannabe Aston Martin is what that is...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi from Sweden

I hope that Jeep want to preserv Wrangler and do not do that Landrover want to with the Defender.

The famous Landrover Defender will come out in a new model sometime.

The Defender is serious "working" vehicle for farmers, hunters, overlanders, military and such and is little bit like a tractor and is not a mall crawler.

This is how Landrover want the new Defender to look like, the DC 100. For me it looks like city sportcar.

Quick Reply: 2014 Liberty/Cherokee kiss of death for the Wrangler as we know it?