Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2016 Jeep Wrangler to lose the solid axles to reduce weight

Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOneJeep
Wow; I'm no engineer but usually 'death wobble' results from lifting the vehicle and can be corrected. One of the reasons to have lifts installed proffessionally unless you have the know-how.
My stock '91 Cherokee had death wobble really bad, and it wasn't lifted at all, so I'm going to have to say that's false.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '93 Ford F350 developed a bad case of death wobble. Pretty sure Jeep didn't do the engineering work on that truck.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well looks like the cements my current plans.
Was going to go for a diesel.
My Jeep is paid off next spring, going to use what were my payments to regear, up to 35s, and beef-up / armor-up
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MrChuckles
My stock '91 Cherokee had death wobble really bad, and it wasn't lifted at all, so I'm going to have to say that's false.
I've owned three lifted wranglers and never experienced 'death wobble'; maybe you needed balancing/alignment.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by navin r
Long overdue, if Jeep knows how to properly engineer a solid axle vehicle there's little evidence of it; the thousands of posts on this forum about death wobble, rattles, bolt replacements, loose steering. If Jeep can't engineer a correct solid front axle they definately should go IFS.
I agree and had previously started a thread on IFS. There are three types of Jeep owners, Hardcore Rock crawler, Occasional offroad DD, soccer moms. IFS benefits all but HC rock crawler which is probably less than 5%(not a popular statement on this site). I am old school and still think Chrysler sold-out building a 4 door but I have had death wooble(worst one:I-80 centerlane on turn 65mph) and I think it is time for IFS. Who says the fine engineers at Chrysler can't come up with a durable IFS?

There will be aftermarket conversion kits before the first one is off the assembly line. Why have the majority of Jeep owners be in misery when 5% could upgrade aftermarket, which they are going to do anyway. BTW, had death wobble before lifted. Threw hundreds of dollars at it but still have fear on the Interstate. Iowa roads are in bad shape, I am only one pothole from another death wooble episode.

I plan on keeping my 08 for a long time but if next genreation has IFS.... I will be posting my 08 FS
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

OK. I've had three Jeeps with the same type front end, (solid axle). None of them had death wobble.
My Scout didn't have death wobble, either.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrChuckles
I'm going to have to say POOR MAINTENANCE
Death wobble is from bad connections. PERIOD!!
Lifted or Not, something is defective and was not replaced. PERIOD
Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
I agree and had previously started a thread on IFS. There are three types of Jeep owners, Hardcore Rock crawler, Occasional offroad DD, soccer moms. IFS benefits all but HC rock crawler which is probably less than 5%(not a popular statement on this site). I am old school and still think Chrysler sold-out building a 4 door but I have had death wooble(worst one:I-80 centerlane on turn 65mph) and I think it is time for IFS. Who says the fine engineers at Chrysler can't come up with a durable IFS? There will be aftermarket conversion kits before the first one is off the assembly line. Why have the majority of Jeep owners be in misery when 5% could upgrade aftermarket, which they are going to do anyway. BTW, had death wobble before lifted. Threw hundreds of dollars at it but still have fear on the Interstate. Iowa roads are in bad shape, I am only one pothole from another death wooble episode. I plan on keeping my 08 for a long time but if next genreation has IFS.... I will be posting my 08 FS
Another argument. I had a '96 Chevrolet Suburban. WITH IFS!
Every time a component or tire wore out....it got death wobble!
IFS is not the fix people. Both designs have their pros and cons. Lifted or not. Worn Components (includes tires) cause problems. PERIOD
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
OK. I've had three Jeeps with the same type front end, (solid axle). None of them had death wobble.
Same here. I've had 3 jeeps my dad has had 2 bro and his wife have 2 and all but dads current jeep and bros wifes have been lifted and no problems. Then again after every wheeling trip I spend 45 minutes and check torque on all the bolts soo
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Death Wobble is well documented on this forum and all over the Internet.... you have been lucky. I am sure that not all Toyota gas pedals stick either but that doesn't make it any less dangerous. Chrysler has a responsibility to produce safe vehicles, if you alter them....your on your own but stock vehicles should be safe. I have had other straight axle vehicles without a problem, maybe Jeep should adopt someone elses design?

Quick Reply: 2016 Jeep Wrangler to lose the solid axles to reduce weight