Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2016 Jeep Wrangler to lose the solid axles to reduce weight

Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoinCamando
Another argument. I had a '96 Chevrolet Suburban. WITH IFS!
Every time a component or tire wore out....it got death wobble!
IFS is not the fix people. Both designs have their pros and cons. Lifted or not. Worn Components (includes tires) cause problems. PERIOD
After how many miles? My first Death Wobble was with 15k and all stock.... dealer changed SS. I have not had it in about a year but I spent a lot of money to get there.

Ball joints
Trackbar
Bolt kit
Draglink
Different tires
Alignment multiple times, once by dealer, once by 4x4 shop

I also torque EVERYTHING during oil change

I also have a Honda Pilot with 170k, original struts, third set of tires..... never felt unsafe
Old 10-29-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
.... I plan on keeping my 08 for a long time but if next genreation has IFS.... I will be posting my 08 FS
Seriously: Why not just go get a Grand Cherokee if you want IFS so bad? It's a really great vehicle. Seriously. Why do folks like you want to change something with the storied history and capability of a real Jeep, instead of just buying other quite excellent products that are available? I don't get it.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
This is not the news to hear Been waiting for the 2016 in hopes for a diesel and now this.The FJ is starting to look pretty damn good
I hear Toyota is stopping production of the FJ at the end of the 2014 cycle. Why would you want an FJ over a JK? I contemplated the FJ as a replacement for my TJ, but the JK aftermarket & great quality of the Wrangler brought me right back on track with a 2014 JK.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Seriously: Why not just go get a Grand Cherokee if you want IFS so bad? It's a really great vehicle. Seriously. Why do folks like you want to change something with the storied history and capability of a real Jeep, instead of just buying other quite excellent products that are available? I don't get it.
I hear ya, as a matter of fact I have said the same thing but it was in response to the 4dr luxury Wranglers that are being built now. I understand why to keep the straight axles.... I am just saying that the way I use my Jeep, I would rather have IFS. And yes mine does touch dirt but mostly trails to fishing holes. Can you really tell me that 95% of Jeep owners need straight axles?

Rubicon = straight axles

Sport = IFS

BTW: this is the only issue that I am not old school
Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm sure I will never hear the end of this but, look at what happened with Hummer. They were known for their axles on the H1's and that's why they had to create an H2. They were under legal obligation to NOT change their solid axles. Solid axles have a documented history of be tough. Throwing those out the window to save weight is not the answer. A diesel engine would go a long way help with mpg's. Look at the aerodynamics of our JK's, they're flying bricks! Change the design a little and slap in a diesel and problem almost solved. When you realistically look at IFS vs solid axle how much weight are you really saving? Not enough to make enough of a difference.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDROCKX
Death Wobble is well documented on this forum and all over the Internet.... you have been lucky. ...
It isn't a matter of luck. I've installed/helped install at least a dozen lifts of various JKs. The only time--ONLY TIME--I had the vehicle suffer death wobble was one with DW before we started the lift, and the owner hoped a new 4" lift would "solve" his DW. He never fixed all of the consequent damage that had occurred through months of driving it, and would eventually sell it, DW and all.

The design of the JK is susceptible to DW, and the lack of accurate tolerances worsens that. However, it's exacerbated by people who don't take the effort to get it fixed and continue to cause further damage that can cause DW in new ways that would have NEVER occurred on a stock vehicle.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It isn't a matter of luck. I've installed/helped install at least a dozen lifts of various JKs. The only time--ONLY TIME--I had the vehicle suffer death wobble was one with DW before we started the lift, and the owner hoped a new 4" lift would "solve" his DW. He never fixed all of the consequent damage that had occurred through months of driving it, and would eventually sell it, DW and all.

The design of the JK is susceptible to DW, and the lack of accurate tolerances worsens that. However, it's exacerbated by people who don't take the effort to get it fixed and continue to cause further damage that can cause DW in new ways that would have NEVER occurred on a stock vehicle.
I have no doubt that an expert can fix it. Should you have to do it on a vehicle with 15k? How come the dealerships don't hire these experts. Poor design, Poor quality. It pains me to say that, I bought my first Jeep when I was 12yrs old. It was a 48 Willy's with a Vega motor for $700 to plow snow. The motor would scream at 50 mph but no DW.

You say yourself that "The design of the JK is susceptible to DW", when dialed in there is no problem.... one pothole and when you least expect it...... DW. How is that acceptable? There is no room for error. IFS has more room for error. If Jeep can't make straight axle safe then they should switch to IFS. Must my opinion...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe you should switch to the Honda Pilot forum and keep that IFS talk outta here.

Next you'll be saying that it needs an independent rear as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maximredriver
Maybe you should switch to the Honda Pilot forum and keep that IFS talk outta here.

Next you'll be saying that it needs an independent rear as well.
Not constructive..... My argument is Chrysler is unable to make straight axle setup safe for HWY driving. Most Jeeps are driving on the HWY. If going to IFS will make it safer then I am for it. DW is very dangerous and takes a skilled/ experienced/ and 100% alert driver to handle. Is your wife ready? Are your kids ready? I would rather not take the chance. If this was happening on any other vehicle messaged boards would be lit up and consumers would be demanding change. I love my Jeep but it has flaws, do you want to stick your head in the sand and ignore it or should we demand Chrysler fix it? If they have a better design for staight axles, then lets see it. If they don't they lets change to IFS.

The family loves my Jeep but anytime we go hwy, we take the Honda. That is why the Honda has 170K and my Jeep only has 60k.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The argument is not valid due to the fact it is based on opinion. I feel completely safe in my jk. It is safe to ME. I would think that the fact a solid axle vehicle rides as smooth as mine does is a small engineering miracle. Losing my off road capabilities to appease your fear is not a win for me, only for you. Show some facts as to where the DW is rampant and a change is warranted then you may have an argument. Seeing as how they sell every "death trap" they make I think the public does not share your fear.

Quick Reply: 2016 Jeep Wrangler to lose the solid axles to reduce weight