Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2017 Wrangler "no significant change"

Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Wrangler "no significant change"

https://twitter.com/metalcloak/statu...57109608960001
Old 08-31-2015, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know that I put much faith in that article. To achieve 30mpg out a stock Wrangler probably represents a fairly significant change in engine technology--moving to a small CRD, or, maybe introducing a very small turbo 4 (1.4L Multiair turbo from Fiat, anyone?) and/or a couple more forward gears in the automatic models. All we know is the new Wrangler will be different.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk_sea
i don't know that i put much faith in that article. To achieve 30mpg out a stock wrangler probably represents a fairly significant change in engine technology--moving to a small crd, or, maybe introducing a very small turbo 4 (1.4l multiair turbo from fiat, anyone?) and/or a couple more forward gears in the automatic models. All we know is the new wrangler will be different.
eco diesel?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you follow the link to the actual article at the Toledo paper you get nothing but pop-ups. Total waste of time trying to read it. Please don't spam the forum like that.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If you follow the link to the actual article at the Toledo paper you get nothing but pop-ups. Total waste of time trying to read it. Please don't spam the forum like that.
Those popups are only on mobile devices. Use a desktop to view
Old 08-31-2015, 01:03 PM
JK Super Freak

This is the actual article that the OP is referring too.

The next-generation Jeep Wrangler — which may or may not be built in Toledo — was shown to thousands of Fiat Chrysler Automobile dealers from across the country this week at a high-profile company event in Las Vegas.

Those who saw the vehicle said there was no mistaking it for anything but a Wrangler.

“It looks good obviously, but doesn’t look significantly different,” said Ralph Mahalak, Jr., a longtime Monroe dealer operating Monroe Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram Superstore.

“Why would you change something that isn’t broke? Wrangler is hottest I’ve seen it in my career.”

The current Wrangler is on track for yet another record year. Through July, the company has sold 121,770 Wranglers, a 19 percent increase from last year.

The new Wrangler, due in 2017, has been a source of great speculation for months.

Fiat Chrysler Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne perhaps is to blame for much of it. Among his public comments were that the Wrangler might ditch its steel frame, and/​or might go all-aluminum.

More recently, Mr. Marchionne has said the vehicle will keep a steel frame and steel body, but use aluminum to save weight.

At the dealer show, Fiat Chrysler officials said the new Wrangler will get 30 miles per gallon.

That would be a 43 percent increase from the 21 mpg highway rating the government awards the 2015 Wrangler. It was not explained how that could happen.

The event was not open to media, and Fiat Chrysler kept close watch on dealers to ensure no photographs were taken.

Dealers said there was no mention of where the next-generation Wrangler would be built.

Mr. Marchionne has said a decision will come by the end of summer, though many suspect that’s a bit of a moving target.

The upcoming Wrangler was one of approximately 60 new or significantly updated vehicles that were shown. Others reportedly included a new Dodge Charger, a Dodge Cuda convertible, and a Jeep Wagoneer.

Doug Kearns, vice president of Yark Automotive Group, said it was one of the most exciting dealer shows he has been to and far exceeded expectations.

“I think any dealer who was there had to feel pretty good when they were leaving the show. FCA has a great plan,” Mr. Kearns said. “They’ve finally got to the point where they said they were going to get us to.”

Read more at Dealers see Wrangler due in 2017 - Toledo Blade

Quick Reply: 2017 Wrangler "no significant change"