Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

2018 Jeep rumors

Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2018 Jeep rumors

Check this out....http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/...-being-tested/
Old 05-20-2016, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cutman
I sure hope the guys at FCA clean up that mess of spaghetti before they go into production. LOL
Old 05-20-2016, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turbo diesel anyone?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman

the 3.6 right now makes about 300 hp why would you want to add all the extra complication and potential problems with a turbo set up just to make right at about the same HP?
It dosent make sense.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo

the 3.6 right now makes about 300 hp why would you want to add all the extra complication and potential problems with a turbo set up just to make right at about the same HP?
It dosent make sense.
Technically 285. But I understand a turbo also does wonders for mpg and efficiency in general. So you gain 15 hp and hover around 31 mpg.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
the 3.6 right now makes about 300 hp why would you want to add all the extra complication and potential problems with a turbo set up just to make right at about the same HP? It dosent make sense.
Most of the large automotive manufacturers have been going to Direct Injection with Turbo likely to meet emissions stricter emissions requirements, as well as the previous poster's point to gain MPG for stricter energy efficiency requirements, without losing significant power. There are times I wish we could "put the Genie back into the bottle," however, we cannot. If we could go back and have mostly mechanical systems with less electronics for real Jeep durability and more reliability (less points of failure), unfortunately we would lose power, safety, and innovation on some level. All this time JKs and JKUs should have been offered with V-8 and Turbo Diesel options, why has it not been done though the demand is strong? Probably because of the above compliance issues as well as the fact that FCA has never had and demand issues providing a less than optimally trimmed vehicle. I often wish that Toyota would build a new FJ-40, Ford a new Bronco, GM a new Blazer/Jimmy with full removable tops in order to have some competition. Jeep does not really need to build what dyed-in-the-wool enthusiasts want. Most of the JK/JKU buyers are probably not enthusiasts looking for off-road capability, power-to-weight ratio, or safety, they accept the Wrangler for what it is and buy the crap out of them. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by doc5339; 05-20-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about a stripped to the bones jeep with a good suspension good tires
and a solid diesel engine
Old 05-21-2016, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doc5339
Most of the large automotive manufacturers have been going to Direct Injection with Turbo likely to meet emissions stricter emissions requirements, as well as the previous poster's point to gain MPG for stricter energy efficiency requirements, without losing significant power. There are times I wish we could "put the Genie back into the bottle," however, we cannot. If we could go back and have mostly mechanical systems with less electronics for real Jeep durability and more reliability (less points of failure), unfortunately we would lose power, safety, and innovation on some level. All this time JKs and JKUs should have been offered with V-8 and Turbo Diesel options, why has it not been done though the demand is strong? Probably because of the above compliance issues as well as the fact that FCA has never had and demand issues providing a less than optimally trimmed vehicle. I often wish that Toyota would build a new FJ-40, Ford a new Bronco, GM a new Blazer/Jimmy with full removable tops in order to have some competition. Jeep does not really need to build what dyed-in-the-wool enthusiasts want. Most of the JK/JKU buyers are probably not enthusiasts looking for off-road capability, power-to-weight ratio, or safety, they accept the Wrangler for what it is and buy the crap out of them. Just my $0.02.
Agree... It is all about CAFE.

https://www.transportation.gov/missi...cafe-standards.

The "light duty trucks" are required to increase to well over 40mpg by 2025. This is why FCA has rebadged econ-box SUVs, with higher mileage, and calls them "Jeeps". All a big numbers game.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2833764112.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	647657  

Quick Reply: 2018 Jeep rumors