Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

At 39 years old I am finally embracing that you get what you pay for.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default At 39 years old I am finally embracing that you get what you pay for.

The new starter I installed was expensive but sounds amazing on start up. Much more powerful than the original. New battery twice as expensive as the old one. Installed extra battery ground cable to alternator. NO MORE CHEAP SHIT FOR THE HOUSE OR THE JEEP. It's amazing how far those extra dollars go. A few years ago I bought the heavy duty version if an air compressor I wanted and holy crap it was worth the extra $50. NO MORE CHEAP SHIT FOR THE HOUSE OR THE JEEP
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always maintained that when it comes to tools and toys, spare no expense!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm 48 and just started thinking this way too. I did not grow up wealthy, so looking for the cheapest way to do something was how I always did it. But now I am realizing that the next tool I buy might be the last one I get, so I research and get the one I think will suit me best, not the cheapest. I still balance it out with need and function, and don't just spend money for the sake of spending money.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't matter how old you are! Save your money and get what your WANT. And we usually always WANT what's BETTER anyway. Don't compromise because the second you do, you compromise quality and reliability. Spend the extra coin because if it's not physically worth it, the piece of mind IS.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default At 39 years old I am finally embracing that you get what you pay for.

A few years ago I was looking at some new woodworking equipment and a heard someone say:

Buy your SECOND table saw FIRST.

It seems like every time I try and justify the cheaper purchase (tools, jeep mods, electronics...) I am quickly wanting to upgrade or throw the junk away. So, I try and make sure I get what I really want even if it means waiting a little longer.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99
The new starter I installed was expensive but sounds amazing on start up. Much more powerful than the original. New battery twice as expensive as the old one. Installed extra battery ground cable to alternator. NO MORE CHEAP SHIT FOR THE HOUSE OR THE JEEP. It's amazing how far those extra dollars go. A few years ago I bought the heavy duty version if an air compressor I wanted and holy crap it was worth the extra $50. NO MORE CHEAP SHIT FOR THE HOUSE OR THE JEEP
Amen! Took me a long time to figure that out.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Old 09-03-2014, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
Doesn't matter how old you are! Save your money and get what your WANT. And we usually always WANT what's BETTER anyway. Don't compromise because the second you do, you compromise quality and reliability. Spend the extra coin because if it's not physically worth it, the piece of mind IS.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was taught years ago to live my life with the mindset of "I'm too poor to buy cheap". In other words, spend the money on quality, and in the long run, spend less overall.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Paid close to $4,000 for a TeraFlex 6" longarm lift for my Jeep... but it looks sooo good, is really tall, and drives BETTER than it did stock! that is why you pay more for some things!

Quick Reply: At 39 years old I am finally embracing that you get what you pay for.