Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The Car Wash Dilemma

Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Car Wash Dilemma

From what I can tell, JK’s and the car wash don’t get along very well. Soft tops leak. Larger wheels cause problems when they rub or don’t fit. Jeep owners bring in their Jeeps with 30 pounds of mud on them. And some car washes don’t even allow Jeeps.

I’m not all about having a clean Jeep, but after a day on the beach I do like to get the salt off the Jeep to keep the corrosion potential down. I guess I’ll stick with the sponge and hose.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Super1
From what I can tell, JK’s and the car wash don’t get along very well. Soft tops leak. Larger wheels cause problems when they rub or don’t fit. Jeep owners bring in their Jeeps with 30 pounds of mud on them. And some car washes don’t even allow Jeeps.

I’m not all about having a clean Jeep, but after a day on the beach I do like to get the salt off the Jeep to keep the corrosion potential down. I guess I’ll stick with the sponge and hose.
Haven't had much trouble at the car wash. Granted I use one of the brush free car washes so I think that helps. It is a little close buy my tires do in the tracks.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM
JK Freak

pressure washer at home
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Hellooooooo - hand car wash ONLY. I don't understand how automatic car washes are still running!! This is a topic that drives me crazy. I mean, ok, maybe i love all my vehicles too much and respect them enough to wash and wax them all myself. But yes a quick wash is somtimes needed, but do you feel good about yourself because you spent an extra 5$ and went with PREMIUM?!? brushes in those things scratch the heck out of your paint and they never clean your wheels enough and ohhh i forgot you got the "undercarriage wash" hahaha........Sorry i guess im just a do it yourself kinda guy, if you want it done right! my

If you want to burn 15 bucks PM me and ill give you my paypal address, ill get more use out of it than your crummy auto wash!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

What I do is take it to a spray and wash if it is really bad to get all the think chunks of dirt and such off, then take and have it hand washed. Usually $30 bux or so and well worth it.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Super1

i stay away from car washes! its a jeep not a car!! haha.. all kidding aside, i think i have ran mine through 2 times. i prefer to wash myself by hand or pressure. i am a bit maticulous and love to blast my own mud out of everywhere!!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to the car wash the other day, and the lady at the front turned me down. She said I had too much mud on it. I had to go down the street wash it off, and then come back. After I went through, I noticed that my antena had bent. Not good.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I won't go to an "auto wash" again. After getting my hard top, I thought that it wouldn't be a problem. Then, after almost having my antenna ripped off and it rocking the $#%@ out of my Jeep, and then, after it all, STILL not getting it completely clean...I figured that I'll just take it down to the manual wash stations in the bays next to the auto area instead. Then just wax it by hand at home.

Cheaper...and a better job too!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know the automatic car washes in this area recycle the water and since Michigan uses salt on the roads in the winter it is like giving it a salt bath. I will stick to spraying it off myself.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Double D's
Hellooooooo - hand car wash ONLY. I don't understand how automatic car washes are still running!! This is a topic that drives me crazy. I mean, ok, maybe i love all my vehicles too much and respect them enough to wash and wax them all myself. But yes a quick wash is somtimes needed, but do you feel good about yourself because you spent an extra 5$ and went with PREMIUM?!? brushes in those things scratch the heck out of your paint and they never clean your wheels enough and ohhh i forgot you got the "undercarriage wash" hahaha........Sorry i guess im just a do it yourself kinda guy, if you want it done right! my

If you want to burn 15 bucks PM me and ill give you my paypal address, ill get more use out of it than your crummy auto wash!
I'm pretty sure my trail stripes show up just a bit more than any automated wash scratches.

For a good wash and wax, I do it myself.
For a quick wash, especially the undercarriage, I pop through Mike's. (if the top is on)

Quick Reply: The Car Wash Dilemma