Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

4WD Drive let me down......

Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down 4WD Drive let me down......

I'm not trying to condemn them, but they should really check their website, and admit that they are part of the problem.

I recently had my Jeep re-geared at Globex 4x4 to 4.88 gears. With that I had purchased a detroit truetrac from 4wd. I used the information on their website to guide my purchase, as I do all of my other purchases.

Overview
The Detroit TrueTrac Limited Slip is an all gear driven clutchless differential. The TrueTrac will automatically provide smooth transfer of power from the slipping wheel to the non slipping wheel to help you out of a jam. With no clutches to wear out, you will have a dependable long lasting Limited Slip differential.
Technical Details
Automatic Torque Biasing
Smooth Actuating
Clutchles Operation
For Use In Rear Applications Only
For Use With 30 Spline Axles
For Use With 3.92 And Up Gears

Product Specs
Product Specs
Case Ratio Traction Type Popular Axle Manufacture Axle Spline Count
3.92 Up Limited Slip Dana 30

The resulting part number is EAT913A590.

So during the install I get a call from my mechanic saying the part does not fit, and that the correct part is the one they say is for 3.73 and down gears. So I am scratching my head not really understanding that, but OK trust the mechanic, send the part back.

The problem: 4WD won't take the part back because the mechanic had installed the bearings on the part, so they won't touch it anymore, can't re-sell it and therefore wipe their hands clean of it.

The problem I have is the part described on their website is incorrect, and they do nothing to prevent this from happening to others, hey why do they care right? What's the big deal if people can't install the parts because they don't fit? Well, thats what I leave to you all to decide. I know they're a sponsor on here, always checked with them before buying stuff.

This wasn't the first time I bought a part from them, I always have checked their site for stuff, but this experience has left me not happy. I can't trust their sight to give me enough info to buy the right part. And in order to return it, they suggest selling on ebay or CL. Not what I expected.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like some crappy customer service
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've ordered a lot from 4wd in the past w/o an issue with a part not fitting but now I'm wondering if its even worth the risk that they may not rectify an issue while turning their back on us. Too many other companies out there that stand behind what they sell.......
Old 09-16-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch sorry to hear. Always heard stories like this about 4WD that's why I don't buy from them.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, it does make me feel better that you can see my side of things. Like I said, I'm not condemning them, they've been good to me in the past. But I am out almost $500 bucks on this, and it doesn't seem right to me at all.

I'll have to try and sell this part to someone with a "normal" D44.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to hear of these experiences, but I am glad you gave us a heads up! All of what I hear does influence where I buy from.
Good luck.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Last edited by 951JEEP; 09-17-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this same thing on the Quadratec thread.
So far I have ordered from both 4wd and Quadratec but by far Quadratec has much better prices and way better customer service not to mention free shipping codes and discounts for forum members. I had some issue with 4wd way back in 08 and got no help from them so needless to say other places get my business since.
Hope 4wd takes notice people are not too happy with the way they treat clients and is very easy to gain a bad rap.
Does it cost money to do exchanges and send replacements? Yes it does but that's part of the business and is not like everyone that orders is going to have problems is a very small percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Me and all my friends are done with the local company entirely due to them treating everyone like assholes and making everyone that walks though the door feel like their stupid and don't know what they really want or they don't know what their talking about. Never buying from their again.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Former Member

This issue has been resolved with the customer. We are in the process of updating our websites to reflect the information pertaining to JK models.

Quick Reply: 4WD Drive let me down......