Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

5 Year Warranty/Failed

Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 Year Warranty/Failed

Brought my 2008 JK in for the 5 year life time warranty inspection and was denied cause of the snow plow set-up. They did leave it up to me to either go home and take every thing off and come back , or just let the warranty end. Now..what would you guys do ? before you say take it off...

1. not a DD
2. bought as a toy ( a big A.T.V.)
3. works great plowing our driveway (sure beats shoveling)
4. $ 3200 investment
Old 12-16-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

How hard would it be to take everything off? I'd say that's the main question. That, and if the warranty is helpful to you. I'm not sure how hard a plow setup on a JK would be on the drive train.

If it's not too hard to take everything off then go ahead. I'm sure the day or so of work will pay off in the long run. Sounds like the dealership is giving you a chance to keep your warranty, instead of just failing your 5 year 'inspection'.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what he said , could pay for itself , maybe not . only the shadow knows
Old 12-16-2012, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I would remove the stuff for the inspection they are not going to pull the stuff of to do the inspection. A certified powertrain tech has to do the inspections so they put some effort in on it.

Just my opinion but the lifetime powertrain warranty could pay for itself real easy.

I know mine has when the pulled the transmission out to replace the syncros at 72k miles.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Junkie

If you plan to have it a long time, remove it. It's cool of them to even offer that up, I wouldn't waste that opportunity.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dralphy
How hard would it be to take everything off? I'd say that's the main question. That, and if the warranty is helpful to you. I'm not sure how hard a plow setup on a JK would be on the drive train.

If it's not too hard to take everything off then go ahead. I'm sure the day or so of work will pay off in the long run. Sounds like the dealership is giving you a chance to keep your warranty, instead of just failing your 5 year 'inspection'.
I would be bring it back to the place that installed it and have them uninstall it for a price. I formed a relationship with the sevice department over the years so that's why I think they are giving me a chance to take it off. (sometimes it pays to have the dealership do all of your oil changes)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove it, get the inspection, then put it back on. Just remember to remove it for any warranty work.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scouter4life
If you plan to have it a long time, remove it. It's cool of them to even offer that up, I wouldn't waste that opportunity.
Yea... I thought of that, but I'm out $3200 plus I still need to buy another vehicle to plow with. Shoveling, snowblowing, a cheap ATV with plow is out of the question. Thanks for your 2 cents but I think I'll say Bye Bye to the warranty.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

It would probably be worth taking it off if you want the warranty. Because if the dealer is like that, I imagine you are going to have to take it off to collect on any future drivetrain warranty repairs anyway, so you might as well figure out what is involved.

Just for the heck of it I took my 07 in a few months ago when the lifetime warranty 5 year check was due. This dealer knows full well what mods the Jeep has, since they put a 545 RFE tranny in behind the 6.1 about 3 years ago.

They passed me on the inspection, I thought it was pretty funny.

They have always treated me well, and except for the tranny they know I won't try to make them honor any warranty anyway.

Last edited by Yankee; 12-17-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 AM
JK Freak

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that illegal? I was always told that in order to deny warranty coverage, they have to prove the modification caused the part to fail. Might be worth looking in to.

Quick Reply: 5 Year Warranty/Failed