Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

8 speed auto coming in 2018

Old 11-24-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 speed auto coming in 2018

2018 Jeep Wrangler to get 8-speed auto - Autoblog
Old 11-24-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's probably a good thing...

...if you like automatics.

At least that's confirmation that the Wrangler likely won't become a front-wheel-drive minivan at least in the next 3 years or so.

8 gears is a lot. Good for fuel economy, but that's a lot of shifting. If you've ever driven a 7, 8, or 9 speed auto, that's all they do, is shift. They're almost miserable to drive because they're between gears seemingly more than they're IN gear.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

It kills me that they are using something like this transmission to improve fuel economy. Aside from finally adding a diesel there isn't huge gains to be made with steel brick!
Old 11-27-2014, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk_sea
That's probably a good thing...

...if you like automatics.

At least that's confirmation that the Wrangler likely won't become a front-wheel-drive minivan at least in the next 3 years or so.

8 gears is a lot. Good for fuel economy, but that's a lot of shifting. If you've ever driven a 7, 8, or 9 speed auto, that's all they do, is shift. They're almost miserable to drive because they're between gears seemingly more than they're IN gear.
My wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee has an eight speed auto transmission, and it is one of the best things about that Jeep if you ask me. It shifts so smoothly that most of the time you can't feel it shift, and have to look at the dash display to even know it is doing it. There is always a gear that is just right, at least that is what it feels like to me.

I have a 2015 Challenger Hellcat on order, that will have an eight speed auto transmission, supposedly straight out of the Viper. I don't know how well it works yet, obviously, but they tell me its nice. I hear there are 5000 sold orders ahead of mine, so it is going to be a while before I get to find out what it is like. I'm not too worried about it lacking performance though.

I think an eight speed auto transmission will be good news for the Wrangler. I have a friend that spoke to the Chrysler person in charge of the Jeep division, at SEMA, this year. He was told the new Wrangler will have solid axles, and a body on frame construction, and it will be "better in every way" than the current Wrangler. Well what else would you expect him to say? Still, I am cautiously optimistic about the future of the Wrangler.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 11-27-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why anyone would even be concerned about that yet. We don't even know if we are going to like the new gen Wrangler to start with.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exciting, considering how many problems Cherokees are having with the 8 speed. Nothing better for the rough stuff than a ultra-complex computer controlled tranny too.

I hope it doesn't mean the JK is the last Jeep to have an optional manual trans either... that's another thing that hasn't changed since 1941 and I've never owned a Jeep that I couldn't row my own gears in.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Yes, the new Wrangler will still have a manual transmission option. It will also still have a fold down windshield, with a better design than the JK version. It will also have an aluminum body, and will have major weight savings (several hundred pounds) compared to current JKs. It will also be available with the diesel engine that is currently available in the Grand Cherokee and half ton Ram pickup.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 11-28-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
Yes, the new Wrangler will still have a manual transmission option. It will also still have a fold down windshield, with a better design than the JK version. It will also have an aluminum body, and will have major weight savings (several hundred pounds) compared to current JKs. It will also be available with the diesel engine that is currently available in the Grand Cherokee and half ton Ram pickup.
I really hope you're right. The new Cherokee and Renegade give me really bad future wrangler dreams.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
My wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee has an eight speed auto transmission, and it is one of the best things about that Jeep if you ask me. It shifts so smoothly that most of the time you can't feel it shift, and have to look at the dash display to even know it is doing it. There is always a gear that is just right, at least that is what it feels like to me.

I have a 2015 Challenger Hellcat on order, that will have an eight speed auto transmission, supposedly straight out of the Viper. I don't know how well it works yet, obviously, but they tell me its nice. I hear there are 5000 sold orders ahead of mine, so it is going to be a while before I get to find out what it is like. I'm not too worried about it lacking performance though.

I think an eight speed auto transmission will be good news for the Wrangler. I have a friend that spoke to the Chrysler person in charge of the Jeep division, at SEMA, this year. He was told the new Wrangler will have solid axles, and a body on frame construction, and it will be "better in every way" than the current Wrangler. Well what else would you expect him to say? Still, I am cautiously optimistic about the future of the Wrangler.
wait a minute your buying a dodge challenger that is automatic.. wow. whats the point
Old 11-29-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tribulation138

wait a minute your buying a dodge challenger that is automatic.. wow. whats the point
700+ hp is the point lol

Quick Reply: 8 speed auto coming in 2018