Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Advice for new purchase

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for new purchase

Hey guys (and gals)- my wife and I are in the process of replacing our 100k mile Saturn Outlook with a JK. Having had several Jeeps over the years, we have missed the fun factor and with the kids (5 and 18mo) getting bigger, we know they will enjoy it too. I'm amazed at the resale pricing on JK's, especially the 12's. My guess is the addition of the new engine, but still seems terrific (if you're not on the buying end!).
My question is this- I've gone the "responsible, family route" for our last two vehicles and my wife is giving me full say in the Jeep. With that, I have always wanted a special edition, but ones like the COD and dealer adds are just kind of too much. On the other hand, I'm not a fun fan of the leather seats (think many days at the beach! Ouch!), so Moab, Sahara with leather etc are also out. I'm a sucker for marketing yes, but I loved the seats from the 70th anniversary model in '11. Yes I know they were leather but the details made that an awesome vehicle.
I have been in touch with several dealers about 70th anniv models, but even on the very low end, they are still asking at least $29k. Seems a 2013 Sahara w cloth or even an Oscar Mike might come close to that pricing depending on deal offered.
What do you guys think? Besides the Tread Lightly and the Truecar offers, anything else I can use to my advantage? Does Jeep still offer a college grad discount (just finished my masters)?

Cliff Notes: buy a 70th anniv edition for $29k or go to '13 Sahara or Oscar Mike? What discounts or services are best to be used to buy new?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a sport and design your own special edition! That's part of the fun with these.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Find someone to do the friends and family discount. That is a heck of a lot of savings.

Also a sport is a great base to make your own special addition. I agree withe the last statement.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I was able to get friends and family for my 2012 jku sport last year. Make sure you are also considering important aspects such a gearing and rears. I opted for 3.73 due to overwhelming support on here compared to 3.21. Also for the same reason opted to NOT get the limited slip (anti-spin) because the brake lock differential is quite effective.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Sport vs Sahara

I was looking to do a Sport S and do my own build from there- the only things that throw me are a few of the inclusions on the Sahara that I would really like to have and not so sure they can be done "aftermarket" on the Sport.
First is heated front seats- while its not Alaska, the mornings (especially early mornings) in PA are quite cold and a warm bum is a nice treat
Second- Automatic headlights- I've just always had them and seems like the cost to do aftermarket might get crazy

I guess in both cases, these aren't items that should be make or break, but just the idea of having them is nice.
I'm guessing since no one mentioned going '13 or something used, that my assessment of going for the new engine is a good choice??
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default friends and family

and how does one go about finding a friends and family deal? I have lots of friends, but my family is dwindling (sadly, I'm the only one left in my family save for my wife and 2 kids)- everyone else is passed.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Where about are you in PA? I got my JKU in Oxford, PA even though I am in NJ. My friend is a salesman there. He may not be able to give you the friend and family price, but he would take care of you well. As for the heated seats, I do not have them. However, I can say that the jeep quickly heats up and puts out blistering hot heat. If you close all but one of the vents you could use it like a hair dryer - no exaggeration. For that reason I think heated seats can drop further down the wish list.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Where about are you in PA? I got my JKU in Oxford, PA even though I am in NJ. My friend is a salesman there. He may not be able to give you the friend and family price, but he would take care of you well. As for the heated seats, I do not have them. However, I can say that the jeep quickly heats up and puts out blistering hot heat. If you close all but one of the vents you could use it like a hair dryer - no exaggeration. For that reason I think heated seats can drop further down the wish list.
Rob-
I'm just south of York PA, only about an hour from Oxford actually. I go through Oxford when I head to Berwyn for work meetings. I'd be interested if you could send me his info. I had just never heard of the friends and family deals on Jeep products. (I have however been alerted to the deals through Truecar, which seem pretty decent as well).
Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by aubreys dad

Rob-
I'm just south of York PA, only about an hour from Oxford actually. I go through Oxford when I head to Berwyn for work meetings. I'd be interested if you could send me his info. I had just never heard of the friends and family deals on Jeep products. (I have however been alerted to the deals through Truecar, which seem pretty decent as well).
I will PM you the info. The dealership is called Country Chrysler. The salesman is a former neighbor of mine. I can't say he would be able to give friends and family price, but my referral of you to him should at least have him treat you well. I got a good price, but he did hit me up to get the lifetime warranty. However, he also knows I keep my vehicles for a very long time, so the warranty was probably a good move for me.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would recommend going for a '13 Sahara. You can get them with cloth interior and they come with a lot of nice creature comforts like the automatic headlights and power windows/locks standard. Definitely spend the little extra to get the 3.6l engine...I had an 08 and the engine in my '13 is a nice upgrade. Good luck and welcome to the JK-Forum!

Quick Reply: Advice for new purchase