Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

ADVICE: Top and Door Removal

Old 04-25-2015, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TerpForHire
When you unhook the door be very careful because your mirror can swing around and dent your cowl. Many many many dented cowls out there.
Park with your front end pointed uphill and you will never end up with the cowl mod. Not sure why so many end up making this mistake. No offense but this is simple physics. I knew to do this well before I ever heard of people denting their cowl while removing their doors. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-25-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get something soft to put your doors on. I use an old yoga/sleeping mat. Also pick up a tube of white lithium grease so you can grease up your door hinges. Keep your doors greased up and you can remove them one handed!
Old 04-25-2015, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowtj02
Get something soft to put your doors on. I use an old yoga/sleeping mat. Also pick up a tube of white lithium grease so you can grease up your door hinges. Keep your doors greased up and you can remove them one handed!
X2 on the grease and old mat
Old 04-25-2015, 05:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MTMxRubi

Park with your front end pointed uphill and you will never end up with the cowl mod. Not sure why so many end up making this mistake. No offense but this is simple physics. I knew to do this well before I ever heard of people denting their cowl while removing their doors. Just sayin.

It doesn't take much at all to dent the cheap thin metal. I was on level ground and I let the door rest there while at lunch to let air come through the jeep. Never slammed on cowl or anything. Dent.....
Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HA HA, that was my first dent.

When you unhook the door be very careful because your mirror can swing around and dent your cowl. Many many many dented cowls out there.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:44 AM
dog
JK Newbie

Haha it's like a rite of passage. Mine are both pretty bad. Don't care one bit

As far as things to do, here's a little checklist off the top of my head:

1. Remove the torx bolts on the bottom of your hinges. They're T50 for sizing. Put them somewhere safe and forget about them. Many don't even run them with the doors back on. I'm sure some do.
  2. On the door wiring harnesses, slide the red clip locks into the 'unlocked' position.
  3. Disconnect your harness clips. Don't unhook the limit-straps until you're ready to take off the door.
  4. Store the doors somewhere safe, protect the bottom edge if you're putting them on a hard surface.
  5. Remove freedom panels. Store freedom panels somewhere safe, (or put aside to put back on after top removal).
  6. Loosen all hard-top torx bolts with a tool (T40 for hard top), then remove by hand for speed.
  7. Open rear window of hardtop, close jeep gate.
  8. Find a friend to help you remove the top. It's possible but very much a pain and very risky to do it on your own.
  9. Lift straight up on the top. It comes up about an inch before you can walk it off the back of the jeep. Put it somewhere safe.
  10. Consider putting a couple seat-belt pads from walmart/gas station on the belts to keep them from flapping. Mine were like 3 bucks a piece and work great. I put them on the belt right where it comes out of the b-frame. They just velcro on and sit there.
  11. Consider quick-release mirrors. I run without mirrors all the time but some areas are harsher about the laws than others. Depending on your area, you only need rear-view center mirror and a driver mirror to be legal.
  12. Lock up your shit. Lots of people put tuffy boxes or other provisions for locking up valuables. I leave my dog in the car, that works pretty well for security for me (see pic )
  13. Get a shade/bikini/safari top, or put the freedom panels back on. Completely topless will burn your ass quicker than you think it will. I love my spiderwebshade.
  14. Have a freakin' blast looking like the coolest MF in town
Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always screw the door's torx nuts back on the door so I don't loose them. That great advise on the seat belt pad. The flapping will drive you nuts.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Best tip I ever got was to place refrigerator magnets beneath the hinge while you undo the torx bolts. You won't scratch your paint with your ratchet this way. I keep a magnet in my Jeep at all times just for this.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 AM
dog
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
That great advise on the seat belt pad. The flapping will drive you nuts.
For anyone wondering, here's what I was referring to to stop the seat belt flapping -

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	608411Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	608412
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
I always screw the door's torx nuts back on the door so I don't loose them. That great advise on the seat belt pad. The flapping will drive you nuts.
That's what I like about my 2014 JKUR. The storage area in the back has slots to store all the hardware from the doors and hardtop. Not sure what year jeep started this or if it's 4dr specific but it's makes storing the bolts so much easier.

Quick Reply: ADVICE: Top and Door Removal