Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

AEV heat reduction hood

Old 08-24-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEV heat reduction hood

I've been liking this hood and I've been thinking of adding it to my Jk, question is... Does anyone know how the factory match painted version from Quadratec look? Is it worth the extra cash or would it be better to have it locally painted by a shop.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I feel you should have it done locally to get it perfect
Old 08-24-2013, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
I've been liking this hood and I've been thinking of adding it to my Jk, question is... Does anyone know how the factory match painted version from Quadratec look? Is it worth the extra cash or would it be better to have it locally painted by a shop.
I had mine done locally, and as it turns out I'm glad I did. I didn't buy mine through Q-tec though. I would assume the painted one that Q-tec sells comes to them already painted from AEV. If so, and in any case, one potential problem is the way AEV packages them - and that they have to ship them at all. They mostly cushion it in the carton with styrofoam except at the high point of the dome, which is right against the cardboard carton.

My primed-only hood came slightly marred at the top of the dome here it was making that contact itch the box, rubbing on the cardboard during shipping, but I didn't worry about it at all because when my local shop did the paint job it looked perfect, you couldn't tell. I would imagine that any marring like that anywhere on the hood, and you'd be looking at a return and some hassle. Before I ordered mine I had read some similar complaints on one of the forums, I think maybe his one, so I was forwarned.

In my case I also had the shop repaint some other spots on the doors and such that needed it, so it worked out better anyway. But even if I wasn't having that done, I'd still have it painted locally. I would read some of he old threads on this, I think both here and on he AEV board.

The hood looks fantastic. Just the other day my buddy with an '07 looked at my hood next to his and predicted that there were going to be a lot of acorns, branches and stuff falling out of his trees onto his driveway this fall.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the info. I may call some local shops and get some quotes, hopefully they can just do the hood and factory match without the need to blend it into the sides too.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

I had mine painted locally and it worked out well. With paint/install it ended up being about the same price as the Quadratec preprinted hood, and I saved the shipping cost because my local dealer is an AEV dealer, so I got it through them. They did an outstanding job and the match is spot on.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
I had mine painted locally and it worked out well. With paint/install it ended up being about the same price as the Quadratec preprinted hood, and I saved the shipping cost because my local dealer is an AEV dealer, so I got it through them. They did an outstanding job and the match is spot on.
Same experience here.

Going off on a slightly different direction on this, I have to compliment AEV for really being customer-first on my particular transaction. I initially called AEV directly, because they also sell direct, as well as through Q-Tec and through AEV's network of authorized independent off-road shops.The price for the hood is the same either way, meaning that from AEV's perspective if they sold direct to me their margin on he sale would be substantially higher than it would be for them sending me somewhere else.

The person I spoke with on the phone at AEV was looking at it from my perspective, though, and suggested that I could save myself the shipping cost for the hood by getting it locally, and referred me to the authorized shop in my area. So I saved the shipping, and the local guys got some business.

Now don't get me wrong, I greatly respect Q-tec and I don't want to suggest taking any business away from them, especially in this particular case. My point is just that for any of the independents in the AEV authorized network who might be on this forum reading this, AEV is even sending what could be their direct business your way, instead. Their motivation for doing this, at least in my case, was to save me some money (the shipping) on the deal -- even if it meant less in their pocket.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I was kind of impressed with this.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by juke

Same experience here.

Going off on a slightly different direction on this, I have to compliment AEV for really being customer-first on my particular transaction. I initially called AEV directly, because they also sell direct, as well as through Q-Tec and through AEV's network of authorized independent off-road shops.The price for the hood is the same either way, meaning that from AEV's perspective if they sold direct to me their margin on he sale would be substantially higher than it would be for them sending me somewhere else.

The person I spoke with on the phone at AEV was looking at it from my perspective, though, and suggested that I could save myself the shipping cost for the hood by getting it locally, and referred me to the authorized shop in my area. So I saved the shipping, and the local guys got some business.

Now don't get me wrong, I greatly respect Q-tec and I don't want to suggest taking any business away from them, especially in this particular case. My point is just that for any of the independents in the AEV authorized network who might be on this forum reading this, AEV is even sending what could be their direct business your way, instead. Their motivation for doing this, at least in my case, was to save me some money (the shipping) on the deal -- even if it meant less in their pocket.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I was kind of impressed with this.
Most manufacturers would prefer you buy through their dealers, if their products sell well their dealers will be pleased and continue to carry the products, Quadratec or local shop etc. being a happy customer is better in the long run for the manufacturer than a single, higher profit margin sale to you or me.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Same here. Mine was put on by a local shop that's an authorized AEV shop. Had it painted locally. Of my mods, I think the hood is possibly the singularly most complimented item on my rig other than maybe my tires. I love this hood.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJM12

Most manufacturers would prefer you buy through their dealers, if their products sell well their dealers will be pleased and continue to carry the products, Quadratec or local shop etc. being a happy customer is better in the long run for the manufacturer than a single, higher profit margin sale to you or me.
There is perhaps a subtle but important difference here, though.

I've bought other stuff directly from AEV, including recently. They don't usually send me to the dealers. They have a pretty well developed direct-to-customer on-line and telephone business going on.

In this case, and it kind of evolved in my conversation with the employee on the phone, their motivation here was something a bit less self-serving than their business relationships - to save me some money.

That's what impressed me.

Quick Reply: AEV heat reduction hood