Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Airport parking w/out roof and doors

Old 06-10-2013, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airport parking w/out roof and doors

I travel almost every week, and I'm just really tired either not taking my roof off on the weekends (I only have a hardtop) or taking it off Friday and putting it on Sunday night. So I've been thinking...

I park at the terminal, not in some remote parking. There's always lots of traffic, and often I'm close to the valet booth so there's definitely eyes in the area almost 24x7. Here's my plan: install a battery disconnect, park the Jeep in 4-Lo, and just leave it.

Am I stupid? No one can hot-wire it, and in 4-Lo it can't be towed or put on a flatbed without lots of commotion. Someone going through that effort would probably steal it with the roof and doors on.

I just don't have the money right now for a soft top.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by notenuftoys
I travel almost every week, and I'm just really tired either not taking my roof off on the weekends (I only have a hardtop) or taking it off Friday and putting it on Sunday night. So I've been thinking...

I park at the terminal, not in some remote parking. There's always lots of traffic, and often I'm close to the valet booth so there's definitely eyes in the area almost 24x7. Here's my plan: install a battery disconnect, park the Jeep in 4-Lo, and just leave it.

Am I stupid? No one can hot-wire it, and in 4-Lo it can't be towed or put on a flatbed without lots of commotion. Someone going through that effort would probably steal it with the roof and doors on.

I just don't have the money right now for a soft top.
I guess it's a question of your lot security. I fly a lot too (JFK and LGA), only I won't even leave my rig with the soft top on in the airport terminal lots. Last trip, I parked next to a guy who had his side tinted windows removed while he was parked there, with some DB inb the booth.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't see the point of a batter disconnect if you don't lock the hood.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chief_Airborne
Don't see the point of a batter disconnect if you don't lock the hood.
I'm looking at either the key'd disconnect (and I take the key with me) or one I recently saw that you can hide under the dash, under the seat, somewhere that won't be obvious.

Where there's a will, there's a way; my goal is to make it difficult so a thief will just move on.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Buy a trail hunting cam mount inside the jeep looking out, pics of the people if they steal anything, little simpler in my mind, hide it so its hidden very well, so they don't just jack that..
Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Covered parking?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Park at home, and get a ride to/from the airport instead, especially if your company is picking up the tab. May be cheaper than having to park it all week.

I don't like airport parking. There's always a fine layer of crud on everything (jet/diesel exhaust) when I park at the airport, so I'd definitely want to seal up the inside. I'd also be afraid some bum would want to take a nap in one of the seats.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

No way would I trust that, I'd just suck it up having the hard top on.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I travel a lot too. I have the soft top and have never locked my jeep. My only concern would be that the parking is covered because of the weather.
I don't see the point of either disconnecting the battery or the trail cam, just don't leave anything of value in it. What are you going to do with a picture of someone in your Jeep and I don't think it can be hot wired.

Have your insurance policy up to date and enjoy your Jeep. Relax, not everybody out there wants to get you.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Taxi cab...leave the jk at home where its safe

Quick Reply: Airport parking w/out roof and doors