Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Akward entry

Old 10-13-2014, 03:34 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by agentjohnson
I never liked the look of the tube bars anyway! Curious though, can a rock rail fit with the stock side steps in place?
I've seen several post on the forum in regards to this question. But I've never explored them for an answer.. Just have our heart set on the molded side steps.. more for aesthetics than function..
Old 10-13-2014, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
I've seen several post on the forum in regards to this question. But I've never explored them for an answer.. Just have our heart set on the molded side steps.. more for aesthetics than function..
It is the wife's Jeep so I will loose alot of battles on this field! She just wants an effective beach crawler! lol!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:52 AM
-

It is the wife's Jeep so I will loose alot of battles on this field! She just wants an effective beach crawler! lol!
Same here, tiss the wife's jeep more than mine.. I would assume that beach crawler and mall crawler are one in the same.. If you're actually able to drive the jeep on the beach, I would keep the side steps.. rusting could become an issues for a full metal system thereafter. just make sure you power wash and pre/post treat any developing rust areas.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I solved my problem, I put the Amp Power steps on, took the Rubicon rails off, work so much better for my bride and myself... love how it lowers and comes back up... did not need the rails. will not be rock climbing, only sand and forest trails. Going to sell the Rubicon rails.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmaines
I solved my problem, I put the Amp Power steps on, took the Rubicon rails off, work so much better for my bride and myself... love how it lowers and comes back up... did not need the rails. will not be rock climbing, only sand and forest trails. Going to sell the Rubicon rails.
This is a good option. Do you have any photos of them installed? Did you do it yourself?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife is 5'2" and has trouble with getting in. The grab handles seem to help. The power steps look awesome but expensive. You could also try the MORE off-road spring loaded step pad. I am 6' with. 2" lift and I even use the grab handle to pop myself in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2014, 09:50 AM
-

Default Grabars

Well I've wanted to redirect this more towards other options which allow for ease of access to the jeep.. and although the steps are just part of this, I recall the Grabars which are U shaped bars that mount in the cabin right by the windshield molding. I like the concept but I feel and have told them that this is in a precarious location and could interfere with the airbag deployment. However I would prefer the stiff grabar over the nylon grab handle which is nothing more than cinch straps around the roll cage. Perhaps this is an alternative means of support upon entering the jeep that someone can benefit from.
I believe one disable vet told me that he has these Grabars.. but because the bar is located on the windshield channel/molding on the drivers side and he is right handed.. it creates an awkward entry point.. in essence he would need something on or around the seat area or even on the pillar by the door, instead of in front of the door..

Last edited by AngryRedBird; 10-13-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone else feel slightly akward getting in and out of their JKU? Just curious if new side steps will help or if anything else will ( IE LIFT, someone tell me the lift makes it better) lol! Thanks for your feedback in advance!
With or without lift or steps, grab handles make it more comfortable.
The best ergonomic location is at the corners, and not at the middle.
Of the available options of metal grab handles for the corners, I chose the Synergy, and they did make a change for the better.

Wrapped with self-sticking Silicone tape, the black metal doesn't get unpleasantly hot (or cold).

Attachment 579701

Attachment 579699
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab Handle 2 - Wrapped - Resized.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	579702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grab Handles -- Rear.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	579703  

Last edited by GJeep; 10-13-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
-

Good info, thou I don't like the fact that one has to destroy the plastic moldings.. But I would prefer to remove the molding.. seems a bit of a waste.. Yet wife wants the moldings.. Also.. the curve on these handles is a but much.. I would undoubtedly hit my head on this gaining access to the jeep.. if the handles were more curved with the shape of the door frame, thing might be better. However the issues remains.. the handles are a great idea on the passenger site seeing how most are right handed.. yet having the handles in the location above presents an issue when entering the jeep if one is right handed or is limited to just using the right their hand. At this point I tend to grab the steering wheel..
Old 10-13-2014, 01:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Good info, thou I don't like the fact that one has to destroy the plastic moldings.. But I would prefer to remove the molding.. seems a bit of a waste.. Yet wife wants the moldings.. Also.. the curve on these handles is a but much.. I would undoubtedly hit my head on this gaining access to the jeep.. if the handles were more curved with the shape of the door frame, thing might be better. However the issues remains.. the handles are a great idea on the passenger site seeing how most are right handed.. yet having the handles in the location above presents an issue when entering the jeep if one is right handed or is limited to just using the right their hand. At this point I tend to grab the steering wheel..
Obviously you never used those handles.

If the curve was more upright, it would have been inconvenient to pull yourself up.

No, you don't hit the handle with the head, LOL!... The head never gets so far into the corner, that it reaches your own hand which grabs the handle.

As for right/left handed --
I'm right handed. My right leg goes in. True, it's more natural with the left hand, but depending on whether I'm carrying something, either my right or left hand holds the handle and pulls up, the left leg sort of hops/pushes up.
(If you use a step, your left leg first goes on it, then the right leg into the Jeep.)

This is a the smooth motion. Phrasing it, makes it sound complicated... but it's a very natural and convenient way to get into my 4" lifted with 35" wheels.

It's the most ergonomic grab handle, no need to theorize about what's wrong with it...
In any case, it's better & more convenient than grabbing the steering wheel.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-13-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Akward entry