Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Are all bolts metric or torx?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all bolts metric or torx?

I'm getting ready for a trip and am getting some tools together. So far all I've found is metric and torx. Could there be any American bolts on there too? Space will be a premium.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roll with an extension set, breaker bar, cordless impact, wobbler metrics, deep metrics, metric box set, and twelve point short metrics. Two large crescent wrenches, knipex pliers, two sizes of channel locks, two c clamps, two ratchets, and standard sockets and wrenches for the aftermarket add ons.

I roll all of this in a cheap tool box strapped to the floor of the jeep.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Most of use are running with metric and SAE tools because of mods. When you do mods, you'll likely end up with some SAE hardware. On top of that, many install the bolt kit available from Northridge 4X4 to mitigate chances for death wobble. That kit converts a lot of the metric suspension hardware over to slightly larger SAE hardware to close up some tolerance gaps. So, while you're running completely stock you should be okay with metric (and Torx) tools, for most tasks (there are a couple Allen head bolts in the mix, BTW), if you plan on mods then you better figure out how to shoehorn more tools.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yup... just as Mark said, you'll end up with a mix. I carry a socket set that's made for an impact wrench. These sockets are both metric and SAE they push on the sides of the hex bolts rather than the points. (supposedly to keep from rounding and they've done the job). I have no idea anymore where I got them but if you can find something like that, it's very convenient.

Quick Reply: Are all bolts metric or torx?