Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

All future Jeep models to be built in China?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All future Jeep models to be built in China?

If this is true my 2012 Wrangler ay be my last.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/22/j...ines-in-china/
Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smh....well that sucks lol
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like you read the headline and stopped. They aren't cutting building here...they're just adding plants over there.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

I hope you are correct, but the word "likely" is troubling. We all know he things go once things get started and if cuts to production have to made where they come from.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Troubling, indeed. I concur with the OP -- if this is the case, my 2012 is also my last. I have little doubt that eventually most will be built overseas -- Fiat will just keep finding reasons to send more and more production overseas, until nothing is left here.

Just like GM has hopped into bed with the communist-Chinese-government-controlled corporations, apparently Fiat has as well. I don't like commies or commie stooges and I sure as hell won't buy products made by them. It's pretty hard these days to avoid made-in-China, but I draw the line at autos.

Hear that, Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat? That's the sound of you pissing off the customers that keep you afloat -- you know, the ones you sold 3.6L motors with crappy heads to? Yeah, those customers.

As much as it sounds like blasphemy here, and as much as I love my Jeeps (and driving them all these years), I'd switch to driving <cringe> HUMMERS if they were designed and built in America and Jeeps were not.

The only problem I'd really have is giving GM my money. Do you think we can lobby The Donald to buy what's left of Hummer from GM and resurrect the brand?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm the chinese bought hummer afew years ago
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezekiel97
seems like you read the headline and stopped. They aren't cutting building here...they're just adding plants over there.
Exactly what it says... Read the whole article. If they decide to build all models there, it's to take pressure off the US plants that need to supply domestic and foreign markets. The average wait for an ordered vehicle is 6-8 weeks (personal experience and the recent experience of hundreds of forum members). Would you prefer the lead time to double because the domestic plants get bogged down by filling foreign orders? Not me.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

The additional capacity would likely only augment Jeep's US output, not replace it.
Last sentence, second paragraph.

A large part of Jeep's appeal is the fact that they're still (largely) manufactured here. Chrysler knows that and has capitalized on it with its marketing. You know the commercials. I don't see them being so blind as to not knowing how badly it would hurt sales in the US if they made that move.

However, you can't blame them for wanting to cash in on the opportunity to sell 3 times the amount of Jeeps over there than they sell here in the US, which is what I got out of that report.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This story seems to be this weeks viral outbreak, but I'm certainly not going to loose any sleep over it. I've got bigger things to worry about, like what I'm going to eat for lunch! People spend too much time worrying about things they absolutely have no control over.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carolinajk
ummm the chinese bought hummer afew years ago
No, they didn't. They wanted to, but the deal fell through. GM still owns HUMMER.

Quick Reply: All future Jeep models to be built in China?