Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Aluminum: Why Jeep Body Shops May Suffer

Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum: Why Jeep Body Shops May Suffer

Aluminum is a metal that can be hard to work with if you don't know what you're doing. We all know this and know that new tools and training are coming if the new Wrangler ends up using the lightweight metal, but what about the rest of the body shop? There is one additional hidden cost: aluminum dust containment.

Read the rest on the JK-Forum homepage. >>
Old 10-15-2014, 01:19 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Default Going Aluminum Part 2 – Jeep and Toledo

We mentioned what would happen to Jeep body shops that would have to change if the new Wrangler goes aluminum, but what about the rest of the Wrangler? How will Jeep handle a new aluminum Wrangler?

Read the rest on the JK-Forum homepage. >>
Old 10-15-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

I don't see it as much of a big deal. Aluminum is going to be every where soon. Some shops have been dealing with this for years. This is especially true for shops who do a lot of bmw, Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche work. With the number one selling truck the f150 going to all aluminum other manufactures are going to jump on as well. Ford has been using aluminum for years on some truck and suv hoods. Gm using it in Tahoe and surburban based suv lift gates. Ideally one should have a clean room for aluminum repair and separate tools as not to cause galvanic corrosion but soon this will be the new normal.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

I'm interested in seeing how the aluminum will hold up to trails. I've seen jeeps take some beatings on trails...I bet aluminum will be great for people who use them strictly for daily drivers, but there will probably be a big backlash if they don't hold up well on trails!! That, or you'll see real jeep people out who have banged up jeeps
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering trophy trucks, which see far greater punishment than 10 of us combined, they don't have many issues with aluminum components. Machined properly, attached properly, etc., it can be strong, functional and aesthetically pleasing.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't Land Rover figure this out with the Series I? Oh, yeah, they did. Moving on to the next non-issue with the next Wrangler.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't say that I've ever seen a "Jeep Body Shop" to begin with.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RoysRig
Can't say that I've ever seen a "Jeep Body Shop" to begin with.
Jeep dealers have jeep body shops
Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
Jeep dealers have jeep body shops
Where they replace panels lol
Old 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Repair verses cost

The issue isn't "can they repair it?"... of course they can. Expense for the interim is the problem. AL is coming and over the next decade its going to show up in the majority of vehicles. The thin body panels of the current JKs isn't all that impressive so not sure why people are worried about this.

Quick Reply: Aluminum: Why Jeep Body Shops May Suffer