Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Aluminum Wrangler Likely a Done Deal

Old 10-21-2014, 11:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyBob
Anyone excited about aluminum because it doesn't "rust" should think twice. My bilstein 5100 and rugged ridge aluminum hinges look like junk after 1 year. Trading one form of oxidation for another. Unless they offer full body anodizing I'm going to keep my rust wagon.
Land Rover make the the bodies of their 4x4s of Aluminum for many decades, no problem. It depends on the Aluminum alloy type. Of course, there's the coating/finish as well.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Defenders are famous for rotten frames too.

Anyways, aluminum doesn't scare me as much as "unibody" does. And if the Wrangler gets a unibody, you can virtually guarantee there will be an independent suspension under it.

And since the Wrangler is a volume sales vehicle, you can bet it's not gonna be built like a Humvee or M-151. It's looking more like the next gen Wrangler will basically be a topless Renegade everyday.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Chango
Defenders are famous for rotten frames...
One of my overlanding companions drives a cool 95 D90. And he did a lot of restoring work to the sheetmetal. But the problem wasn't aluminum in and of itself. It was electrolysis from aluminum against steel. One would hope that new aluminum vehicles are built smarter to avoid these problems.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chango
Defenders are famous for rotten frames too. Anyways, aluminum doesn't scare me as much as "unibody" does. And if the Wrangler gets a unibody, you can virtually guarantee there will be an independent suspension under it. And since the Wrangler is a volume sales vehicle, you can bet it's not gonna be built like a Humvee or M-151. It's looking more like the next gen Wrangler will basically be a topless Renegade everyday.
the fames are steel. British steel, which is known to be less quality than American steel.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

More info. Aluminum skin on steel frame. And production likely staying in Toledo. Marchionne is in rumor squashing mode.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...?src=soc_fcbks

Quick Reply: Aluminum Wrangler Likely a Done Deal