Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am i going crazy?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i going crazy?

I have a nice Kenwood radio in my 07 JKUR and I've have it for awhile but it almost seems like my stock radio sounded better, am I wrong? What do y'all think?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rizzo22
I have a nice Kenwood radio in my 07 JKUR and I've have it for awhile but it almost seems like my stock radio sounded better, am I wrong? What do y'all think?
Tell us some more details about your system. Which HU? What kind of speakers? Any amps?

If you haven'y changed the speakers, then there is your problem. The OE speakers aren't a very good match for aftermarket HU's.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Tell us some more details about your system. Which HU? What kind of speakers? Any amps?

If you haven'y changed the speakers, then there is your problem. The OE speakers aren't a very good match for aftermarket HU's.
Everything is stock except the HU
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with JK-Ford.

Aftermarket Head-Units and stock speakers rarely work out well. I don't know for sure about the JKs but many manufacturers use odd impedance speakers (ohmic value). The factory HUs are made specifically for that speaker.

Honestly I think most manufacturers put pretty decent systems in their vehicles these days. If you are a real audiophile it might not be good enough but you will need to replace the whole system (including wires) to do better. In the end it is an awful lot of money for a vehicle that has knobby tires and a top that opens to counteract the benefits.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jnabird333
I agree with JK-Ford.

Aftermarket Head-Units and stock speakers rarely work out well. I don't know for sure about the JKs but many manufacturers use odd impedance speakers (ohmic value). The factory HUs are made specifically for that speaker.

Honestly I think most manufacturers put pretty decent systems in their vehicles these days. If you are a real audiophile it might not be good enough but you will need to replace the whole system (including wires) to do better. In the end it is an awful lot of money for a vehicle that has knobby tires and a top that opens to counteract the benefits.
Thank You Sir. Sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Rizzo22, I would suggest looking at a better set of speakers. Look for speakers with a 4 ohm rateing. Cpmponents for the front. And coaxial's for the rear. You may have to install some in-line frequency filters for the tweets tho.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank You Sir. Sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Rizzo22, I would suggest looking at a better set of speakers. Look for speakers with a 4 ohm rateing. Cpmponents for the front. And coaxial's for the rear. You may have to install some in-line frequency filters for the tweets tho.
Thanks guys!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dont know, but it would have to be something special to tell the the difference over the howl of Mickey Thompson 35" MTZ's. Oh yea 25 years in power houses and refinerys running 1 1/2" drive impacts hasnt helped.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RDH475
I dont know, but it would have to be something special to tell the the difference over the howl of Mickey Thompson 35" MTZ's. Oh yea 25 years in power houses and refinerys running 1 1/2" drive impacts hasnt helped.
janbird333 would probably call me crazy for what I spent on my audio system. It's good. But I could have spent a lot more. I garantee you that you can could hear it.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

janbird333 would probably call me crazy for what I spent on my audio system. It's good. But I could have spent a lot more. I garantee you that you can could hear it.
People say I am crazy for buying a warn winch. He who pays the fiddler calls the tune.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't call anyone crazy for modifying their rig... If it makes your boat float... rock-on

I used to be pretty big into the audio stuff, but after having that vehicle broken into for the second time I gave up. Of-course that was many years ago when I moved out into my first apartment. Now I live with the cows and corn. (I get the gun ready when the dogs hear something touch the gravel driveway.)

Quick Reply: Am i going crazy?