Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another Rust Prevention Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Rust Prevention Thread

Hey guys here's the deal, I have 2012 jeep jk lift, tires, gears, the whole shebang. Now I'd like to protect my very costly investment from the salty environment over here on Long Island. My plan is to POR15 the chassis and axles then use POR15 chassis coat over that for UV protection. In addition to that I've heard that pouring a quart of oil in the frame rails helps cut down on rust on the inside of the frame. I'm just looking for everyone's opinions and insights! Thank you in advance!

-Chris
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is NE Ohio, we just park them in the garage until spring comes.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Here is NE Ohio, we just park them in the garage until spring comes.
Psht then I can't play in the snow! We have a salt issue year round unfortunately, salt air is a killer!
Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also in ne Ohio. I just get the underneath oil sprayed and hope for the best. Rust is a b***h to stop/prevent here.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3m rust fighter is good for the frame rails. Sprays out.of the can like a sticky foam that then sort of dries a bit into a sticky parafin type wax that never hardens. Been using it for years on vehicles and once a spot is covered it never has a rust issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After dealing with my sons TJ and frame rot and rust, I decided on Eastwood internal frame coating. It has a special nozzle/hose attachment and sprays inside the frame rails and coats them to keep them from rusting on the inside. After that I'll just use a chassis coat or something similar to protect the exterior of the frame/axles. Check out Eastwood, they have lots of rust prevention options.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
After dealing with my sons TJ and frame rot and rust, I decided on Eastwood internal frame coating. It has a special nozzle/hose attachment and sprays inside the frame rails and coats them to keep them from rusting on the inside. After that I'll just use a chassis coat or something similar to protect the exterior of the frame/axles. Check out Eastwood, they have lots of rust prevention options.
Sounds very cool! Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Another Rust Prevention Thread