Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Another trailer question

Old 11-30-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another trailer question

In a few weeks I'll be moving about 500 miles away from where I am now. I'm debating buying a 77" x 12' utility trailer, will my 2 door JK w/ 3.73's and auto tranny be ok with that? Also what's the limit on a safe weight to tow without trailer brakes?

The local Uhaul already denied me once for a trailer rental with my softtop on so that's out of the question.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN
In a few weeks I'll be moving about 500 miles away from where I am now. I'm debating buying a 77" x 12' utility trailer, will my 2 door JK w/ 3.73's and auto tranny be ok with that? Also what's the limit on a safe weight to tow without trailer brakes?

The local Uhaul already denied me once for a trailer rental with my softtop on so that's out of the question.
77" x12 ?? what trailer is that..?

I towed around 2800lbs from Miami Florida to Alaska and then california and then back to Miami with my Auto 3.73 wrangler with 33" inch tires. the trailer had no brakes and it was a 5x8 v nose enclosed trailer.. my biggest problem was gas mileage.. 8-7 mpg just drive slow max 70mph and leave distance also make sure your shocks can take the weight and dont drive at night because the weight makes the headlights point upward a lot!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN

I don't know what the trailer's weight and weight limits are, but towing with a short-wheelbase vehicle can be tricky, especially without trailer brakes. You will want to drive like on ice/snow. There usually isn't any problem getting going, but stopping sucks. A loaded trailer is going to try to push your Jeep sideways, and since its sideways track is about the same as the lengthwise track its not too difficult to do. ...Jack-knife...

The bottom line is you gotta do what you gotta do, but I wouldn't plan on making it a regular thing.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Locko
77" x12 ?? what trailer is that..?

I towed around 2800lbs from Miami Florida to Alaska and then california and then back to Miami with my Auto 3.73 wrangler with 33" inch tires. the trailer had no brakes and it was a 5x8 v nose enclosed trailer.. my biggest problem was gas mileage.. 8-7 mpg just drive slow max 70mph and leave distance also make sure your shocks can take the weight and dont drive at night because the weight makes the headlights point upward a lot!
Big Tex 35SA-12 is what I'm looking at.

In regards to the comment on the short wheelbase, electric brakes will be put on. Better safe than risk a jack-knife
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

According to specs, the trailer is 1020lbs, and a tow rating of 2000lbs, so you have about 1000lbs you can safely carry, with or without brakes. If you decide not to go with brakes, certainly do not exceed 2000lbs.

I pull a 6x12 box trailer regularly, granted I have a JKU, that does not have brakes and know I've been close to 3000lbs in it before and can tell you that even being under the weight limit, it really pushes the Jeep around and braking takes about twice as long.

With that said, you can probably safely go to around 2500lbs with the brakes, but keep the load as low as possible in case you run into cross winds. If that trailer starts to sway it will easily take the Jeep with it.

Here's a picture of that model trailer, or at least one that is similar.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Freak

If you can fit everything on a 5x12 trailer I would go that route. 6ft trailers are really wide to tow behind anything but a full size truck. The drag kills mpg and speed. I have a 5x13 that I've moved to different states with twice. Tows great, just watch the tongue weight if you go single axle.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the same size trailer as you were looking at,77" x 12'. I use it to haul 4 or 5 sit on top kayaks regularly. I have a jku auto with 33's. it pulls it fine. When I went to get it I also hauled home a few skid steer attachments for my dad. I was right at about 3k of trailer weight. Loaded heavy trailer brakes would have been nice but I just drove like I didn't t have brakes and left more room. I have since sold my truck and pull the trailer weekly for hauling of trash or picking up lumber.

Quick Reply: Another trailer question