Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any Marines that can help me out?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Marines that can help me out?

I joined the Marines recently and im leaving for boot on May 6th but my biggest problem is trying to figure out what MOS to choose. Any advice would be awesome
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pick something that interests you, if it transfers over to the civilian world that's even better. You can always go to school while you're in as well. I did 8 years as a 7251, Air Traffic Controller.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

I joined open contract and was put in 0331 Machine Gunner, did three years in that MOS and was force cross-trained into 6253 Aircraft Maintenance, like the above post pick a job that you are interested in, a lot of young people who join the Corps pick jobs that sound cool but have no useful advantage once you get out....After I was cross trained i wound up getting my A&P license to work on civilian aircraft, I got out at my 10 year mark to work for Boeing, I missed the Military life So I went back in....except this time I went into the Air Force...still serving... I love the Corps and would still join as my first branch to serve in..alas like Homer said " you can never go home again"....LOL

good luck in your decision....Semper Fi!!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atcdod
Pick something that interests you, if it transfers over to the civilian world that's even better. You can always go to school while you're in as well. I did 8 years as a 7251, Air Traffic Controller.
something that transfers over would be very helpful since i want to become a state trooper after
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stealthrunner
I joined open contract and was put in 0331 Machine Gunner, did three years in that MOS and was force cross-trained into 6253 Aircraft Maintenance, like the above post pick a job that you are interested in, a lot of young people who join the Corps pick jobs that sound cool but have no useful advantage once you get out....After I was cross trained i wound up getting my A&P license to work on civilian aircraft, I got out at my 10 year mark to work for Boeing, I missed the Military life So I went back in....except this time I went into the Air Force...still serving... I love the Corps and would still join as my first branch to serve in..alas like Homer said " you can never go home again"....LOL

good luck in your decision....Semper Fi!!
yea at first I wanted to go in and just pick a job that sounded fun but after thinking it over, I need something that will actually benefit me after!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by taylorthedude
yea at first I wanted to go in and just pick a job that sounded fun but after thinking it over, I need something that will actually benefit me after!
If you want to be a Trooper then pick one in the military law enforcement field like MP, PMO, or see if you can get a K-9 slot.....those are hard to get and once you get out the specialized training will make you more marketable....A buddy of mine just retired as a K-9 dog handler and went straight to work for homeland security....
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Do what interests you. I was on tanks for the last 8 years and am getting out in June. I already have a job lined up making 40% more. The added benefit is that you like what you are doing while you are in. The state troopers will be happy with the discipline and professionalism of any Marine.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stealthrunner

If you want to be a Trooper then pick one in the military law enforcement field like MP, PMO, or see if you can get a K-9 slot.....those are hard to get and once you get out the specialized training will make you more marketable....A buddy of mine just retired as a K-9 dog handler and went straight to work for homeland security....
thats an awesome idea! I will deff ask if there are any positions available
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Number one is to make sure you will enjoy what you are doing for those 4 years. Number 2 would be try to think about which would help your future career choice. My son is an 0341 (mortarman) who went to boot last July. Last Sunday he was in Nevada shooting off mortars. The very next day is when 7 Marines were killed doing the exact same thing at the exact same place. Pretty scary as a parent not knowing for a day if it was him that was killed or injured. Anyway, thank you so much for your decision to serve. I watched my son earn the title over the past year. It is amazing what you sacrifice to earn that title.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything in the 6000 field will get you on the air side of the house. If you like working with your hands and turning wrenches you will love the wing side. I'm a 6092 and a 6043 . Airframes and Aircraft welder.

Quick Reply: Any Marines that can help me out?