Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

any regrets going from a 2door to a 4door

Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any regrets going from a 2door to a 4door

I found an 07 4door rubicon for what I feel is a pretty decent price, its stock on 33's, hard top power windows/locks. I currently have an 08 2 door X with an RK 2.5" max travel lift, crawler conceptz skinny series bumpers, xrc flares, 35's, and 5.13's.

what I am thinking is to buy the 4 door, it has some kind of an electrical issue but it sounds like its not a big deal, so I would buy it fix the issue and swap what I can from the 2 door to the 4 door and sell the 2 door. obviously I would lose my bumpers since the frame is cut for them and I don't have the sections I cut off to weld back on. I will have to regear the 4 door for the bigger tires since I cant swap that from my jeep to the new (to me) one. Has anyone done something similar to this and if so were there any regrets? I have no problems with my current jeep at all but I could use the extra room. btw this is my DD and I drive about 35 miles one way to work at around 70-75 mph
Old 06-10-2015, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you in hill country? your rubi should be 4:10 and on 35's thats not horrible even out here in SW Montana. I would suspect that the gear change could wait for a little while. Before I married my wife she had a 2 door sport. I didn't really care to drive that thing down the road. Seemed like it wandered and got blown around pretty easily. When we moved out to Montana we picked her up a 4 door and she even agreed that as a daily driver its better. I liked it so much that I traded in my SUV for a 4 door. We have two mastiffs that (with the seats folded down) they can lay in back and not be smushed against each other. I can't speak for the off road prowess of the 2 door vs. the 4 door but for me... I couldn't go back to a 2 door as a daily driver, as a dedicated trail rig sure but not a daily driver.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chemlight_ninja
Are you in hill country? your rubi should be 4:10 and on 35's thats not horrible even out here in SW Montana. I would suspect that the gear change could wait for a little while. Before I married my wife she had a 2 door sport. I didn't really care to drive that thing down the road. Seemed like it wandered and got blown around pretty easily. When we moved out to Montana we picked her up a 4 door and she even agreed that as a daily driver its better. I liked it so much that I traded in my SUV for a 4 door. We have two mastiffs that (with the seats folded down) they can lay in back and not be smushed against each other. I can't speak for the off road prowess of the 2 door vs. the 4 door but for me... I couldn't go back to a 2 door as a daily driver, as a dedicated trail rig sure but not a daily driver.
I am not in the hill country but I haven't owned anything with less than 400hp in years so im used to having power on tap lol gears are my way of getting the little bit of power that the jk does have to the road lol

my 2 door drives pretty good! I have driven plenty of 4 doors and think mine drives almost as good, but either way the deal fell apart, the jeep ended up having issues on carfax which don't bother me much but I look at what it will do when I go to sell it they wouldn't take my offer so im out. I wasn't looking for a 4door at all so it doesn't really bother me that this deal fell thru I would have liked to have the rubi though. I will just continue on my low budget build with used parts from where ever I can find them lol
Old 07-03-2015, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

I love my 4 door. I'm currently 4.10s with 35s. It's definitely not the fastest thing on the road. 5.13 definitely make it go quick.also less strain on the tranny since they run hot. Off road my rubi is a beast.

Quick Reply: any regrets going from a 2door to a 4door