Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Anyone else had their spare stolen?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else had their spare stolen?

I had the spare 17" off my 2012 stolen while parked at my office during the day. No wheel cover and no locking nuts, so taking it couldn't have been difficult. I didn't think anyone would actually steal a stock jeep wheel...there are plenty to go around with all the takeoffs from people going bigger. Anyway, I plan to replace it with the same thing I find on ebay or craigslist, probably stolen stolen, maybe even mine. I've always been skeptical of people selling 1 wheel and tire.

I'm thinking I'll just get a set of wheel locks from autozone to stop the new one from being taken. I'm guessing whoever took it needs 3 more. You think that's the best way to go? I've also seen JKs with cable bike locks on their spares, but I think that might be overkill. Similar experiences? Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they steel the tires off every jeep and sell them ass a whole set of 5?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbneal
I had the spare 17" off my 2012 stolen while parked at my office during the day. No wheel cover and no locking nuts, so taking it couldn't have been difficult. I didn't think anyone would actually steal a stock jeep wheel...there are plenty to go around with all the takeoffs from people going bigger. Anyway, I plan to replace it with the same thing I find on ebay or craigslist, probably stolen stolen, maybe even mine. I've always been skeptical of people selling 1 wheel and tire.

I'm thinking I'll just get a set of wheel locks from autozone to stop the new one from being taken. I'm guessing whoever took it needs 3 more. You think that's the best way to go? I've also seen JKs with cable bike locks on their spares, but I think that might be overkill. Similar experiences? Thoughts?
This guy on this thread had 4 of his rubi wheels and tires stolen and his insurance company gave him a check for $4k. Those wheels are worth a lot cuz of the tpms
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use wheel lock on my spare. Use one of set of 4 for the spare since the spare is much easier to steal (no need for jack).
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by bob-o
This guy on this thread had 4 of his rubi wheels and tires stolen and his insurance company gave him a check for $4k. Those wheels are worth a lot cuz of the tpms
damn! i wish someone would have stolen my rubi wheels!
Old 11-02-2012, 04:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Not a big threat of theft in my rural area, but I still keep a locking lug on the spare.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get a set of 5 wheel locks from your Jeep accessory book.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't had any JK wheels stolen, both of mine had wheels locks on them. Dealers around here all seem to put them on for free for some reason. I did have factory wheel stolen off an F-150 several years ago while i was in the movie theater. Bastards even took the lug nuts. Put the front wheel up on a cinder block and left it. Worst part was, I didn't notice in the dark and tried to drive off. The cop said they had a report a week before of the exact same wheel being stolen off another F-150. Probably somebody who needed new tires or something going around trying to get a full set.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Man, locking lugs are just a minor deterrent I blew a tire at jeeptober fest and didn't have my key for my locking lugs and got it off with ease with a pair of vice grips if you live in the city use a cable lock.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dealer lost my key socket for wheels on an Explorer i had. The spline type lock nuts came easily off by banging on a socket just slightly smaller the the nut OD. So yeah, they will not stop a determined thief but will slow your average joe.

Quick Reply: Anyone else had their spare stolen?