Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto vs Manual

Old 07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto vs Manual

Looking to buy a new 2dr JK Sport in the next month or two. I currently drive a manual Honda Civic, and I love the transmission. For this reason, I have been searching for only manual JKs (hard to find). As this will be my daily driver and taken on 5+ hour highway trips on occasion, can anyone chime in on whether the manual gets to be a pain in the ass after a whole as a DD? The difference being that the stick in the Honda is a short throw (elbow on console, easy to shift) and the JK is more of a long throw (like a truck). I've test driven the manuals, but it's hard to predict if the fun-ness of shifting it will wear off after a few months.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

No pain compared to what you are already used to. My 2012 JKU is the first manual I've had in over 15yrs. I have had it for 2.5 yrs and put 47,000 miles. I only have 11 miles commute to work. I have done quite a few 10+ hour highway drives. Biggest adjustment for me was not being able to hold my tea mug in my hand while driving around town. Other thing is that the shifter rattles pretty hard when you hit a big bump or pothole. I normally drive with my hand resting on the knob which settles down that hard movement.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, that's helpful. Is the console close enough to comfortably rest your elbow with your hand on the shifter?
Old 07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by willworkforJK
Thanks, that's helpful. Is the console close enough to comfortably rest your elbow with your hand on the shifter?
Yep, can rest my elbow on the console and ride for hours with my hand on the shift knob.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Not sure how the new manual jeeps are but I had a 2008 and it was a pain in the ass in traffic. Much different than your civic. Jeep has a long throw and long clutch compared to imports. I traded mine in for a 2014 JKUR for other reasons such as towing my camper, but I got an automatic this time. We also just bought a new juke nismo with a 6 spd manual, that is still a pain in traffic, but much easier to shift compared to my old jeep.

Guess it depends on your commute, I work in a large city and have to work the clutch constantly in morning traffic. If you don't have to shift much the issue is moot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2014, 12:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I've been driving manuals for nearly 50 years. Can't imagine ever owning another auto (only one ever owned was the 10th Anniversary Edition Trans Am setting in my garage because the sticks were impossible to find). Here's a video you might find fun--no off-road, but plenty of stick action ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77-7i5DrpE
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I've been driving manuals for nearly 50 years. Can't imagine ever owning another auto (only one ever owned was the 10th Anniversary Edition Trans Am setting in my garage because the sticks were impossible to find). Here's a video you might find fun--no off-road, but plenty of stick action ... YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A77-7i5DrpE
^^^^^ Yup, Yup, except 17 years here!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:25 AM
JK Freak

manuals are always more fun, driving conditions permitting. that being said, I would have had to order a jeep to get one with a manual in this part of north america, and it would have been not so fun in the winter with the perma frost and ice build up thats on the paved roads for 4+ months every year. if i lived somewhere with an iceless winter ild have taken a manual hands down even if i had to wait 6 months to get it. where i do live ild rather have 2 hands on the wheel at all times in the winter, ive had to recover at least twice a year during winter skids on icey roads (no chemicles up here, we are lucky when they put sand on the intersections).
Old 07-26-2014, 02:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

My TJ was a manual and I loved it. When I test drove a JKU with a stick, I hated it. I think the main difference for me was the 5 vs 6 gears. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it. Someday I miss driving the manual, but overall I'm glad I went with auto.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

I've had my manual JKU for a week now and couldn't imagine driving without a stick. I don't find it is an issue and I have a 30 minute commute to work each day. I will say the hill start assist takes some getting used to. I know it's there to help, but not rolling backwards on a hill feels weird.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual