Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Auto vs Manual

Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer an auto. I agree, manuals are more fun to drive, until you drive in DC traffic. I drove 7 miles to work, on the interstate and it took an hour. That'll change a person.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I prefer an auto. I agree, manuals are more fun to drive, until you drive in DC traffic. I drove 7 miles to work, on the interstate and it took an hour. That'll change a person.
Wimp. I sit on 66 an hour each day. I've found working the clutch to be second nature in traffic.

That being said, every vehicle i own is a manual, might go auto next time around since it has improved since 2010.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was like you, owned manuals my whole life, found a manual on dealer lot with all the options I wanted, test drove it and then ordered an auto and haven't looked back. After driving a Miata for 20 years, a Z for 10, and VW, a BMW, all manuals, I decided I didn't like the truck like Jeep manual. I guess I can find fun in things besides driving a manual.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Default my manual JK is a lot of fun to drive!

I drive a manual JK - definitely fun to drive, I definitely recommend a manual. I went about 10 years without having a manual (nor a Jeep) and missed it. Shifting is fun. JK's that you shift are awesome.

I feel like driving stick makes you a better driver as you have to focus upon driving all the time (even if tempted you cannot text, eat, dial a phone or play with the radio). When you combine that with having absolute control in adverse road conditions and having fun driving, you have an unbeatable combination.

Is it annoying that most of my friends and family cannot borrow my JK because it has a stick? Sometimes YES... but then again, I love to drive it and it is my vehicle so that's not such a negative. Plus I'm teaching my friends to drive stick now anyway.

FYI - I grew up driving stick in snowy and slick conditions and never had a problem with manual transmissions (inarguably I lived and drove in one of the most wintry places in our country). I've also driven in gridlock conditions and although it was initially tiring, I got used to it living right outside one of the biggest US cities. I've also been up mountain roads/dirt roads on hiking/camping trips and never had problems.

Is driving an automatic transmission easier? Hell yes. But some things in life are not better being easier. If you want a go-cart-like "turn on the car and go" experience, then automatic may be your style. I prefer the feeling of being one with my vehicle, being involved in the driving experience, and you can frequently find me smiling behind the wheel of my JK for no other reason than it's fun to drive.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by willworkforJK
Thanks, that's helpful. Is the console close enough to comfortably rest your elbow with your hand on the shifter?
On the 2011+ interior, yes. The 07-10 interior I found the console to be too low. Just got into a 2012 and it is at the perfect distance and height.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

17 years without a manual when I got my 2013 JKU. Fun and easy to drive. Got 3.73 in the rear and my only complain would be I'm sometime looking for a 7th gear when driving over 70 mph on the highway. But except that, go for it!!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Work just gave me a 21 year old intern to work with on a rig. She only drove autos until I taught her to drive my Jeep. Two hours the first day in a parking lot, an hour the next day to refresh and a 15 mile road drive back to the rig. She did real good. Now she wants a Jeep with a stick.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Call me a traditionalist, but I always thought the Jeep Wrangler was a sacred vehicle and have always loved its tradition and history. But I never thought I'd see the day that the best selling model would be an automatic 4-door :(

2 doors, 6 speeds FOREVER!
(Until I buy a CJ)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DRobJKU
I've had my manual JKU for a week now and couldn't imagine driving without a stick. I don't find it is an issue and I have a 30 minute commute to work each day. I will say the hill start assist takes some getting used to. I know it's there to help, but not rolling backwards on a hill feels weird.
I disabled the HSA the first few minutes of driving. Runs smoother without it.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I drive a manual. My next JK will be an automatic.

I've tired of my manual randomly popping out of 1st and 2nd gear with a horrendous pop, slamming the shifter into my hand, and scaring the hell out of my girlfriend in the process. All the while, making me look like an idiot as the Jeep lurches until I can ram it back into gear and get it moving again.

Dealer's been completely useless about it as "they can't repeat the problem" so I've just lived with it.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual