Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Automatic to Stick?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic to Stick?

I have a black two door 2007 sahara Jeep Wrangler. Right now it's an automatic but I recently heard that I can change it to manual transmission. How hard would that be? Is it worth it in the long run or am I financially better off selling mine and buying a new one?

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO its all about how you use your JK. Do you ride highway 90% and trail 10% or highway 10% trail 90%. I have an automatic tranny 3.73 gears and 35s. I also have alot of extra weight from bumpers, skids, winch etc. I knew this when I bought my Jeep an when im wheelin its so much easier not to have to worry about stalling, or burning your clutch up trying to get over some rocks. Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

I don't go to trails. Mostly just everyday driving. I'm starting to look into trails now that I'm on vacation but I wouldn't want anything difficult because it is my everyday car. Really what I'm wondering is price to switch the jeep I have now to manual transmission and if there are any problems that might come from that. Or would it be better just to trade in mine for another?
Old 06-16-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had 2 jeeps that were stick but I'm going back to auto haha

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 06-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly, I would sell of trade your current Jeep and buy one with a manual if that is what you are wanting to do. Not worth the headache and cost to swap IMO..
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yepnickt
I don't go to trails. Mostly just everyday driving. I'm starting to look into trails now that I'm on vacation but I wouldn't want anything difficult because it is my everyday car. Really what I'm wondering is price to switch the jeep I have now to manual transmission and if there are any problems that might come from that. Or would it be better just to trade in mine for another?
I would trade in or sell, because it will not be worth the headace and the labor/parts. Also something I have ran into with local jeepers, dont jump in the first one you like. Take a few days and really set out to find everything you want up front. I.E. manual or auto, rubi or sport, 2dr/4dr. Weigh all pros and cons and that way when you make your next purchase you will have no regrets.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking that I'll sell or trade in mine. I've been playing with a manual every time I go to New York and I think it's kind of fun. I like the two door. I'll look into it some more but I know that I'll be trading mine in or selling it if I choose to switch from automatic.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I'd say keep the auto,the problems i see with the manuals is first gear is not low enough and the fact engine has no torque means more times than none your foots on the clutch
Old 06-16-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
I'd say keep the auto,the problems i see with the manuals is first gear is not low enough and the fact engine has no torque means more times than none your foots on the clutch

I personally disagree with this statement, but I have a Rubicon with 4.10 gears.

I actually felt that first gear was too low on my Rubi until I went to taller tires, and the gearing in general quite low. Your in 6th gear by 40mph and I was basically shifting into second the moment the Jeep rolled.

No that I have tall 33's (295/70R17) first is more usable, as I can actually get some distance through an intersection before needing to shift.

I have also driven a 2 door with 3.21 and 255/75E17 tires, and I honestly feel my Rubi is still geared lower than that.

And to echo what many have already said, if you want a manual trade you jeep for one, the switching over probably isn't worth it.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by familytime
I think the manual has a lower 1st gear than the auto.
6spd: 1st 4.4, 2nd 2.7, 3rd 1.7, 4th 1.2, 5th 1.0, 6th 0.8

5spd auto: 1st 3.59, 2nd 2.19, 3rd 1.41, 4th 1.0, 5th 0.83

4spd auto: 1st 2.84, 2nd 1.57, 3rd 1.0, 4th 0.69

Quick Reply: Automatic to Stick?