Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Autozone fires worker for stopping robbery

Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autozone fires worker for stopping robbery

Check it out on Fox Today Starnes report

They've lost this customer
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade44

me too...
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately that's a fairly common practice

Had a good friend that worked at a retail store who had a customer reach way across his counter... not sure if he was even reaching for him and for something on the counter he grabbed his arm and said something to the tune of "woah there"; didn't even grab him hard, the same reaction any of us would have had if someone reached out across in front of us. Guy still grabbed what he was reaching for and immediately ran out of the store with it... later on, that same guy had the nerve to sue the store chain saying that my friend had injured his arm when he grabbed him. I never heard on if that f'n a-hole won the case or not, or even had charges pressed against him for the theft, but either way my friend got caned for the incident.

***Edit - Whole different scenario from the Autozone incident though, they've lost a customer here too.

Last edited by kbp810; 12-05-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

The the ole addage: "The Customer is always right" to a whole new level, even for non-paying customers!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

I was 18 (yup 18 years ago), working/training at a new job in retail. I watched as a young guy went into the dressing room with several shirt and a pair of shorts, came out chubbier and without the clothes. I told my coworker to get the manager and I headed him off before the door. The manager came over and said he needed to see me about something very urgent and literally pulled me away, as the guy walked out the door. I was then told NOT to try and stop shoplifters. That was a NIKE outlet store. The guy actually laughed at me as he walked out. I quit on the spot because I looked soooooo stupid, headed for the parking lot, but the douche bag was already gone. If the employee wants to get involved they should be trained and allowed to do so. Maybe then prices could stay lower and crime may actullay drop a tad bit.

Perryville Maryland Nike Outlet if anyone knows the area
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Freak

Policy is in place at all national retailers. Going to be tough finding parts...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You better stop using banks too. They have the same policy. It's to help keep their employees, and customers safe, not increase their profits. The idea is to get the thief out of their store as soon as possible. If a thief feels cornered they might pull a gun and just start to open fire at will. Not the smartest thing to do.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

At least someone had some balls to do something about it; if I had my own store I would hire him!!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pwain
Policy is in place at all national retailers. Going to be tough finding parts...
I don't think people disagree with the policy, it is that the policy was enforced in a ridiculous way without the use of any common sense.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

"The York County Sheriff’s Dept. believes the bandit is responsible for as many as 30 robberies across the region."

And many more to come with this kind of rule in place.

Quick Reply: Autozone fires worker for stopping robbery