Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Bad steering?! Help me please

Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad steering?! Help me please

So I'm sure I have a bad steering box because of the dam clunk in the steering box, also when I move hard the drag link side to side you can feel and hear the clunk. that's point one

Point 2
I have this crazy death wobble when I go over 60 65 MPH

I replaced the drag link couple weeks ago, that fixed my problem for 2 weeks but now I have the DW again, so I just purchased a
Full drag link and tie rod that I will install Saturday I'm still waiting in the tie rod to arrive

The other new drag link is stiff and has no movement that's why I'm swiping it, maybe that's causing the DW
My question and concept is the SB

Can a bad steering box cause death wobble?
That's what I think my DW is coming from

Any suggestions will be welcome

Ps I know my spelling sucks

Please help and comment as you like
Old 02-09-2016, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sure it's death wobble & not just a speed related shimmy.

Death wobble is very violent & it feels like your whole front end is going to rip out. It usually requires that you stop the jeep or slow down significantly.

A shimmy or speed wobble is usually associated with poor tire wear or unbalanced tires. The steering wheel oscillates back and forth a bit at a specific speed but the jeep is drivable.

If it's a shimmy you can try to rotate your tires or get them balanced.

If you actually have death wobble then look up Planmans write-up because it could be a variety of things like worn TREs, ball joints, bushings & loose suspension components. How much play do you have in your steering box?
Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_B
You sure it's death wobble & not just a speed related shimmy. Death wobble is very violent & it feels like your whole front end is going to rip out. It usually requires that you stop the jeep or slow down significantly. A shimmy or speed wobble is usually associated with poor tire wear or unbalanced tires. The steering wheel oscillates back and forth a bit at a specific speed but the jeep is drivable. If it's a shimmy you can try to rotate your tires or get them balanced. If you actually have death wobble then look up Planmans write-up because it could be a variety of things like worn TREs, ball joints, bushings & loose suspension components. How much play do you have in your steering box?
Yea it's 100% DW for sure

If I turn or moved the steering shaft I'm not sure in number but like 1/8 of a rotation maybe a bit less

If I shake the crap out off the drag link or pitman arm, You can really feel the movement (clunk) type of thing
Old 02-10-2016, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The drag link will clunk if you rotate it forward & back but it shouldn't move up or down.

Have you had someone turn the wheels as you watch the bottom of the steering shaft. Does it rotate a bit before moving the tires? Does your steering box leak? If it has play in it your seals will eventually give out. While you're down there take a look at your track bar as a friend turns your wheels as well.

If you keep driving it as is & continue to have DW you're also wearing out other good joints that might need replacing.

Quick Reply: Bad steering?! Help me please