Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Been away awhile .... looking for a new JK

Old 02-06-2016, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been away awhile .... looking for a new JK

So dumped my '08 in '11 and now ready to come back .... doing a little fact finding this time before I jump back in. Trying to decide between a couple of options. (not in any order)
1. Buy a (2011 and up) low mile used X for low dollar, part out most of it, replace all running gear with dyna trac, 37's and wheel it.
2. Find a new '16 base model, same as above.
3. Buy a new '16 rubi the way I want it and leave it alone (wife likes this one best)
4. Find one somebody is getting rid of that did the mods right and are giving it away (like I did)

Comments?

Let it get away ..... what a dumb ass!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3388.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	636761
Old 02-06-2016, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdhexpert
So dumped my '08 in '11 and now ready to come back .... doing a little fact finding this time before I jump back in. Trying to decide between a couple of options. (not in any order)
1. Buy a (2011 and up) low mile used X for low dollar, part out most of it, replace all running gear with dyna trac, 37's and wheel it.
2. Find a new '16 base model, same as above.
3. Buy a new '16 rubi the way I want it and leave it alone (wife likes this one best)
4. Find one somebody is getting rid of that did the mods right and are giving it away (like I did)

Comments?

Let it get away ..... what a dumb ass!

Attachment 636761
I say get the Rubi. Unless your planning on going D60 and scrapping the 44's. If your going to go with D60's then get a sport strip it down and build that beast!! T case can be swapped if you really want a 4to1
Old 02-06-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I wouldn't consider an 11. Pretty overwhelming opinion on here that the pentastar which started in 2012 is a huge improvement over the 3.8. Not sure you'll find a low dollar '12 and up. These things hold ridiculous resale value. I've been driving for over 30 years and my 2012 JKU is the only vehicle I ever bought new. Why? Because the price of late model used jku's is almost as high as a new one. And, financing is generally lower rates on a new one.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 02-06-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

^^^^^ THIS.

2011's still have the 3.8L and an ECM that isn't like the 2010 or the 2012.

And as he said, we just purchased a 2016 for my wife and it was cheaper than the 2014s and 2015s we were looking at.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I wouldn't consider an 11. Pretty overwhelming opinion on here that the pentastar which started in 2012 is a huge improvement over the 3.8. Not sure you'll find a low dollar '12 and up. These things hold ridiculous resale value. I've been driving for over 30 years and my 2012 JKU is the only vehicle I ever bought new. Why? Because the price of late model used jku's is almost as high as a new one. And, financing is generally lower rates on a new one.
Yea that was a typo .... meant '12. Would not buy the mini van motor again. With my '08, re geared to 5:13's w/37's, barely enough power to get out of it's own way.

My experience modifications were worth about 25% of retail when I was trying to sell. Further there is a smaller market of buyers willing to spend $40k for an out of warranty heavily modified Jeep, no mater how clean or correctly done. Many people do not appreciate a lifted Jeep done right.

I think you are right about the new/financing, and then you get to modify (or not) your way.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were going to start over again from scratch I would go with a 13+ Sport and add the spicer 60's to it with a 3" lift and 37's. Would go with aluminum bumpers and tire carrier (probably gen right) and evo sliders (or might build my own again) and the protec armor system.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it depends on your intended purpose. If it's going to be a weekend rig and a wheeler, then I'd say go as "base" as possible and build it up. Knowing what I do now, I would have gone for a leftover/base "X" (there is no X anymore) and did to it what I did to my Sport which cost a couple thousand more right out of the box. The extra stuff like bluetooth and power windows are good, but not really needed--for me, anyway.

If it's something you're going to use to pile on miles, I'd probably get the Rubicon and call it a "good enough" (awesome) weekend wheeler straight from the factory.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with some of the above. Look for a 2012 or later with 4.10 or at least 3.73 gears (unless you plan to promptly re-gear).

The performance difference over the 2011 and prior is remarkable.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

We are in the DC area, Koons Jeep is having a presidents sale this week ..... $1000 under invoice. Seems like a pretty good deal, considering most of the year they are not that willing to deal. Especially since the year old rubi's are nearly $35k on the local craigslist. Gotta like the resale value of these JK's.

My last ('08) JK ended up w/37's. Drove perfectly with the clocked dynatrac axle and the teraflex big brake kit. Trouble was the wife and kids couldn't get into easily and never wanted to go. Also was too high for most of the trails in VA. This time I would stick to 35's and probably the AEV lift. Really like the AEV stuff and would consider a new AEV rubi if I could find one for the price.

Other thing is would it be worth waiting another 6 months or so to find out about the re designed and elusive diesel option?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on FCA's release, the diesel won't be available for a couple years. It might still be worth waiting to see what is available for 2017.

I'm in the market for another Wrangler myself so I'm in the waiting game too.

Quick Reply: Been away awhile .... looking for a new JK