Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Before I Buy...

Old 11-03-2007, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I Buy...

I am currently stationed in Iraq. Over the past 14 months, I have scrimped and saved every dollar for my welcome home gift, a new Jeep JK.

Now, I have never owned a Jeep, nor know much about Wranglers. I am seeking the expert advice out there. What package do you recommend for a newbie.

I don't have a family or many friends I want to haul around, but I really like the 4-door body style. Besides price does it have any downsides?

Any other tips on purchasing my first would be great. Thanks agian.

Trevor

edit: Also, what aftermarket parts are a must? I already planned on getting frames so I can mount my side mirrors and remove my doors. Im just curious on any others that all Jeep owners should own. Thanks again

Last edited by trev2724; 11-03-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:01 PM
JK Junkie

We have the 4 door and love the extra room compared to my fiance's 2dr TJ. The only problem we have encountered with the longer wheel base was on a twisty trail through trees following a 2 door. The passenger door almost ate a tree. We had to back up an take the turn wider, we tried followwing the 2dr's line the first time lol Other then that I actually liked the 4dr better offroad. The longer wheel base makes it alot more stable on hill climbs and steep descends.

My only advice about what options to get is this: If you think you want it, and can afford an option just get it. Or you will regret it later. When my fiance bought her TJ, I wanted her to get a rubicon, but there weren't any on the lot. So she got the sport. She regreted it. this time around we got every option we thought we might want and we are 100% happy... well except all the mods I wanna do

As far as mods go... drive it first and see what it can do and what you wanna do with it, then build it from there.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most will recommend any recovery gear as the first modifications/accessories and I agree. The only downside I can think of for the 4-door is the break over angle isn't going to be as good and you'll get hung up on things off-roading until you lift it (that same issue, wheelbase, becomes an asset in certain things like hill climbs although I haven't had issues with that in my 2-door). It comes down to your needs and what you want.

Selecting a trim level is going to depend on money and the direction you intend. I knew it would be awhile before I would get to lift mine and I have no plans of upgrading the 4:1 transfer case or lockers, so the Rubicon fit my needs quite well. The X will give you a blank slate to start from, whereas the Sahara will provide some of the creature comforts standard that are upgrades to the X (there are probably some things you cannot get).

I recommend you read the posts on here as much as you can. You'll see what people are doing and what you might like. Check out the sponsors too, because browsing their catalogs will give you lots of ideas for money to burn.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

But more important to all of that is.......Stay Safe! & Stay Focused there is plenty of time to worry about Jeeps & Jeep Mods, when you get home.

you know how it goes, The closer to comming home it gets, The more Dangerous it is.

Don't worry about it, We will all be here when you get home

SAFE & SOUND

Whooo Ahhh ??
Old 11-03-2007, 01:56 PM
JK Freak

First off, Thanks for serving our country....

I agree, You buy the highest level you may want in the future(I bought a Sahar wanted a Rubi.).
Then pick the mods to suite your driving style.

However much money you save for it.... is how much you will spend.......
It is really a sickness that starts with your first JEEP......

and now with sites like this you are no longer keeping up with jones's
your keeping up with every other posessed JK owner from around the world....

Thanks again.. Be safe
Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

It depends on how you're going to use the vehicle, but my wife and I opted for a 4spd auto (I also drive a 5spd Liberty) because we're using it as a daily driver.

For options, the power convenience group was a must. We got oversized tires, Sirius radio, and the "dual top group."

That's pretty much it. Now that we've had it a month or so, the only thing we're really wanting is side steps, because my wife is 5'2". But it's always possible to buy those as aftermarket parts.

In terms of any other options, it really depends on how much off-roading you plan to do, or whether you really want/need all of the electronic "frills" like MyGig, or slightly better speakers, etc...
Old 11-03-2007, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am in the Military (USN) also, and would buy it through the overseas military sales if you have the oportunity. I would recommended that if you want the Unlimited to go for it, I had an 07 2 door and wanted the 4 door knowing that my wife and I were thinking about kids and ended up just trading the 2 door in. On options, I went with everything but the MyGig and extra air bags on both, the 2 door was an X and my 4 door is an Unlimited.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I put that post up right before I went to bed and woke up to plenty of helpful answers.
This site has already been amazing. The pictures of peoples Jeeps have not only inspired me, but given me plenty of ideas on what I want my Jeep to look like.

Thanks for the tip about the overseas military sales. I know they have a little trailer near the PX, in which I'll be going over to talk with them today.

Wow, I love this site and you Jeep owners are great, thats all I can say
Old 11-04-2007, 04:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Thank you for serving our country.

I would recommend the 4 door. As someone who recently started a family, I can tell you that things change quickly. You may be single without kids now but if you intend to keep it for any length of time , you should be prepared. I have 2 kids and we can all go in it well.

As far as trim goes... it all depends on what you are looking for. I opted for the Sahara due to the fact that I intend to have it for a long time and can justify spending the extra money. For less that $100 on a monthly payment I am getting a loaded Sahara over a base X. This seems reasonable to me.

Good luck and thank you again for everything you do for our country!
Old 11-07-2007, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for paying your taxes

And also thank you for helping me justify the 4-door and the Sahara package.

Quick Reply: Before I Buy...