Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Best "Safari style" top with accessories

Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best "Safari style" top with accessories

I'm in the process of buying another JKU. I've talked the dealership into some credit to buy another top because the Rubicon that I'm interested in only has the hard top. On my last JK my safari top didn't cover the whole top (I believe it was Mopar product). There was a large gap between door and roof. Is there any other brands out there that cover the whole top?

I plan on using it with a windjammer and duster. Would like it to be "water resistant". I live in the PNW so even in the summer it'll rain, especially when you live by the coast.

Any advice on what ones to look into will be greatly appreciated. I've tried searching and have only found people complaining about how they get water inside still. As long as my electronics don't get screwed up, I'll be fine. What tops work best with WindJammer & Duster?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this thread. He did a great job.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-4-door-61292/
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's actually two mopar ones. The one I had covered from door frame to door frame. Only issue was that it stretched (water sitting/pooling on it), then flapped like a bitch.

Last edited by Septu; 04-28-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Septu
There's actually two mopar ones. The one I had covered from door frame to door frame. Only issue was that it stretched (water sitting/pooling on it), then flapped like a bitch.
Flapping really isn't a factor for me. I rarely will drive on the freeway and my town is very small. Do you have any pics of your top?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
Check out this thread. He did a great job.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-4-door-61292/
Thanks, I'll check this out. I'm not sure if this guy was the one who had it custom done from a marine shop but that would be out of the question for me. No where around here does custom work
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a few pictures of it on my old JK. Never put it on the new one... just stuck with the soft top. Pictures were never of the top, but of the back cover... so not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for or not... hopefully it helps. This is the one for the soft top. The hard top one apparently only goes to the rollbars and not the door surrounds.

As you can see it clips into the door surrounds, and ties into the back rollbar. Really I only had 2 dislikes about it. Well maybe 3. It stretched on me, and flapped like a bitch on the highway. I'll never do a 5000 mile road trip again with it (the soft doors didn't help either). When removed (and I'm packing it in the jeep), the plastic parts that clip into the door surrounds make it awkward to store. And the back straps. No matter how hard and how often I tightened them, they'd rotate slightly so that the top wasn't as snug as it could have been (noise, flapping, etc).

However other than those 3 minor things... I loved it. Now the soft top really out does it in the sense that I'm either covered completely (rain) or completely topless. I also never used it with my full doors... only the soft doors, so I have no clue how water tight it really is. But... it rained like a bitch on my 5000 mile road trip that one summer, and while I know the soft doors leak a tad, I don't think the top was the issue.

Here's a thread with a bit of info on it. Before I got mine, I asked Mark questions. He was pretty helpful.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...bonnet-184620/

Last edited by Septu; 04-29-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bestop makes a new cable style safari top that seals to the door surrounds just like a factory top. It is supposed to be water tight above the doors. I have seen it listed by the online dealers for a few months. Been considering it myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Septu
Here's a few pictures of it on my old JK. Never put it on the new one... just stuck with the soft top. Pictures were never of the top, but of the back cover... so not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for or not... hopefully it helps. This is the one for the soft top. The hard top one apparently only goes to the rollbars and not the door surrounds.

As you can see it clips into the door surrounds, and ties into the back rollbar. Really I only had 2 dislikes about it. Well maybe 3. It stretched on me, and flapped like a bitch on the highway. I'll never do a 5000 mile road trip again with it (the soft doors didn't help either). When removed (and I'm packing it in the jeep), the plastic parts that clip into the door surrounds make it awkward to store. And the back straps. No matter how hard and how often I tightened them, they'd rotate slightly so that the top wasn't as snug as it could have been (noise, flapping, etc).

However other than those 3 minor things... I loved it. Now the soft top really out does it in the sense that I'm either covered completely (rain) or completely topless. I also never used it with my full doors... only the soft doors, so I have no clue how water tight it really is. But... it rained like a bitch on my 5000 mile road trip that one summer, and while I know the soft doors leak a tad, I don't think the top was the issue.

Here's a thread with a bit of info on it. Before I got mine, I asked Mark questions. He was pretty helpful.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...bonnet-184620/
Thanks, it looks good. What windjammer is that? Duster?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
Bestop makes a new cable style safari top that seals to the door surrounds just like a factory top. It is supposed to be water tight above the doors. I have seen it listed by the online dealers for a few months. Been considering it myself.
Do you know if it has a windjammer that will work with it? or do all windjammers work with safari tops? and they just zip to the duster?

I never have really got into all the different top options for any of my Jeep's. Always just been hard top and safari. What I'm wanting to get out of a duster/windjammer is keeping the dust out of my cab. We go for drives out on fire roads and it gets so bad we can hardly breath.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJnowsoontobeJK
Thanks, it looks good. What windjammer is that? Duster?
Whatever the windjammer is for the 2 dr.

Quick Reply: Best "Safari style" top with accessories