Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Beware of 4wd.com

Old 09-01-2015, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Beware of 4wd.com

I do not usually post complaints; would usually prefer just to roll-on, but I feel this is worth it.

Long Story short:

April 2015: Ordered bad-ass TrekArmor seat covers for my JKUR.

July 2015: Received seat covers in two separate orders after several over-promised/not delivered scheduled delivery dates.

August 2015: realized not all TrekArmor seat covers are Front Side Air Bag compatible after speaking with TrekArmor, though 4WD.com does not have selection for it on their ordering information.

September 1, 2015: 4WD.com refuses to "make it right" because order was placed in April 2015, Seat Covers were installed, and somehow it is not 4WD.com's fault, but TrekArmor's fault for not having an option to order side air bag compatible covers; though TrekArmor does have this option.

Awaiting response from TrekArmor, whose rep advised me to hit them back up if 4WD.com failed to help.

I will not be ordering anything from 4WD.com again simply because of the over-promise/under-deliver experience. I am posting this not because I am an alarmist, but because I feel a reputable vendor should take safety equipment very seriously and at least make an effort to correct a mistake that could effect my JKUR safety systems.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a Hanson Offroad rear bumper from them, their site said it would fit my 2012 JKU. It didn't, but they made good on it with a free return and expedited delivery on the one that did fit. I think you should share some of the blame for not knowing there was a different order-option until four months after you ordered. I think I only got lucky because 4WD's site was wrong.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a set of Trek Armor seat covers early last year form 4WP web site and payed for next day shipping to Hawaii. It being Hawaii shipping can take an extra day or two so I was patient and gave them three days before calling them to ask why I didn't even have so much as a tracking number. They told me that the covers have been on backorder. When I asked why didn't they website say so because I'm ok with waiting when I know about it going in and I wouldn't have payed for overnight shipping. The ridiculous answer the rep gave me was because then no one would buy them and for an extra $35 they could forward my order to Trek Armor and have them ship to me. Nope. Got my money back and haven't done business with them since.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have used 4wd.com a lot and Northridge4x4 a lot and both have been exceptional every time. I feel for the guys who have not had good luck, but I sure have not ever had a bad transaction. I will continue to use both as both have been great.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I am not a fan of 4wd, or 4wp, or any of those places, it sounds like you ordered the wrong thing and then wanted them to pick up the tab because you didn't research enough, in which case you should at least give them the benefit of the doubt and say youre pissed because they wouldn't pay for your mistake, not theirs.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tomsryt
I ordered a Hanson Offroad rear bumper from them, their site said it would fit my 2012 JKU. It didn't, but they made good on it with a free return and expedited delivery on the one that did fit. I think you should share some of the blame for not knowing there was a different order-option until four months after you ordered. I think I only got lucky because 4WD's site was wrong.
You are right about "buyer beware," however it was not an option when ordering, and it should have either had a disclaimer or an option. When you you order a cosmetic item with all correct vehicle info, you are expecting the correct cosmetic part; at least I was.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by lkjk
While I am not a fan of 4wd, or 4wp, or any of those places, it sounds like you ordered the wrong thing and then wanted them to pick up the tab because you didn't research enough, in which case you should at least give them the benefit of the doubt and say youre pissed because they wouldn't pay for your mistake, not theirs.
Firstly I was pissed because delivery took 3 months, though it was promised sooner several times. I definitely screwed by buying from them and not doing more diligence up front. I am not pissed because 4WD.com will not "pay for" what you call my mistake, but because they washed their hands of it totally and actually blamed Trek Armor.

Thanks for your input, I posted to vent and to advise of what I believe are legitimate failures in their customer service department and online advertising/options selections.

Last edited by doc5339; 09-02-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going to touch on the airbag part, I didn't even know that was an available option yet...

However, I am right there with you on their delivery estimates. When I ordered my set, they told me 2-3 weeks. 4 weeks later I asked them for an update, they said another 2-3 weeks, checked again after that they said another 5-7 days... getting rather impatient at that time I checked again after 7 days, and received a somewhat rude reply saying that they meant 7 business days (looking back, they did word it as 5-7 business days, it had been 5 business days at that point)... so I gave it another week beyond that, and still with nothing I decided to call trek armor myself... who said they would ship next week (and also mentioned their frustrations with 4wd setting the wrong expectations with their customers - apparently they had been getting a lot of similar calls).

I admit I am a fairly impatient person, but have no problems waiting when the expectation is set correctly. Being told 2-3 weeks when its really more like 2-3 months, I find to be quite frustratingly annoying.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kbp810
Not going to touch on the airbag part, I didn't even know that was an available option yet... However, I am right there with you on their delivery estimates. When I ordered my set, they told me 2-3 weeks. 4 weeks later I asked them for an update, they said another 2-3 weeks, checked again after that they said another 5-7 days... getting rather impatient at that time I checked again after 7 days, and received a somewhat rude reply saying that they meant 7 business days (looking back, they did word it as 5-7 business days, it had been 5 business days at that point)... so I gave it another week beyond that, and still with nothing I decided to call trek armor myself... who said they would ship next week (and also mentioned their frustrations with 4wd setting the wrong expectations with their customers - apparently they had been getting a lot of similar calls). I admit I am a fairly impatient person, but have no problems waiting when the expectation is set correctly. Being told 2-3 weeks when its really more like 2-3 months, I find to be quite frustratingly annoying.
Sorry to hear that; pretty much mirrors my experience. I had a big problem with the over-promise/under-deliver technique to keep me on the hook.

The bright-side is that TrekArmor seat covers are pretty sweet.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

UPDATE: TrekArmor is sending me the correct side air bag compatible seat covers, despite 4WD.com not assisting whatsoever.

Whether one thinks I am a dope for not doing enough due diligence (I did a good bit), or you too think 4WD.com should have all available options on their order page, it feels good to be taken care of by a "stand-up" outfit like TrekArmor.

I was prepared to purchase new side air bag compatible seat covers from TrekArmor, but before I could even call, they asked for my address so they could mail the correct seat covers to me.

4WD.com👎

TrekArmor👍

Quick Reply: Beware of 4wd.com