Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Big shout out to Sears!!! Die Hard Platinum battery

Old 04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big shout out to Sears!!! Die Hard Platinum battery

I am amazed at my luck today. About a week ago, while at the Maze District of Canyonlands, Utah (a remote location) my main battery decided to take a big dump. I have two Die Hard Platinum batteries. I essentially had to jump myself, from one battery to another, thankfully that was working, however in the back of my mind I was super worried. The Maze is not somewhere you want to be stuck.

After getting home I pulled the bad battery out and noticed it was swollen and bulging. Not good. I saw on the side of the battery it had a 4 year free replacement warranty. The Sears automotive place I bought the batteries from was no longer there. I no longer had the receipts either... was I screwed? I could not remember the exact date of purchase... was it 4 years ago?

So I take the battery to another Sears, the lady takes one look at it and after punching my name and phone number in the computer brings me a brand new battery!!! I still had 11 months of the 4 year warranty and then something like 54 months prorated coverage. No fuss, no arguing, didn't even have to say anything. Flat out gave me a new one. I realize that's what a free warranty is, but it's still super nice that it was that easy. I had absolutely no idea when I bought them that they had a 4 year free replacement warranty.

Saved me from having to spend $220 bucks.

So if you are in the market for a battery, I would STRONGLY suggest getting the Sears Die Hard Platinum.

Last edited by xerofall; 04-06-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
JK Super Freak

just got mine two weeks ago vs a yellowtop , the warranty helped me make the decision , that and the fact i was sent a redtop instead of the yellow , glad it worked out for ya
Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I know of the Red, Yellow, & Blue tops of the Optima Batteries.
Is it the same with the Sears Platinum Series?

ie.;
Red = Standard
Yellow = Deep cycle
Blue = Marine~Deep cycle
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BoneShkr

ie.;
Red = Standard
Yellow = Deep cycle
Blue = Marine~Deep cycle
I think so. There's Die Hard, Die Hard Gold and Die Hard Platinum. I think I read here a while ago that the Die Hard Platinum is a rebadged Odyssey battery.

Honestly, I have no idea why I chose the Die Hard over Optima... I think it was as simple as Sears having their batteries in stock, and having to special order the Optima.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BoneShkr

ie.;
Red = Standard
Yellow = Deep cycle
Blue = Marine~Deep cycle
Actually no. Whereas the Optima batteries are all AGM, only the Diehard Platinum is AGM. As far as the DH Platinum being a re-badged Odyssey, No, it is not. Both the Odyssey and the DieHard Platinum are manufactured by EnerSys Corp. They both have the same specs, however the Platinum has a better warranty at a lower cost. Optima batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info. I'll be getting the Sears Platinum when I'm in need.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you considering a Sears Die Hard Platinum battery. Act quickly and maybe already too late. This battery is history. N/A on the web and in most if not all stores. Replaced by the 4 terminal Die Hard marine AGM battery which seems to be having premature failure issues. For those of you that have a group 34/78 Sears Platinum with the 4 or 5 year replacement warranty, you might want to ask Sears what they will do if it fails or what the pro ration rules will be. If you find one, you might want to fib to try for a new one. A real shame for a great battery. I was torn last year and got a $100 NAPA, just couldn't swing the $220 for the Platinum. IMO you already paid for two @ $220. Good luck
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
For those of you considering a Sears Die Hard Platinum battery. Act quickly and maybe already too late. This battery is history. N/A on the web and in most if not all stores. Replaced by the 4 terminal Die Hard marine AGM battery which seems to be having premature failure issues. For those of you that have a group 34/78 Sears Platinum with the 4 or 5 year replacement warranty, you might want to ask Sears what they will do if it fails or what the pro ration rules will be. If you find one, you might want to fib to try for a new one. A real shame for a great battery. I was torn last year and got a $100 NAPA, just couldn't swing the $220 for the Platinum. IMO you already paid for two @ $220. Good luck

Strange I've not heard it is being discontinued. Just checked on the Web, and there are currently 3 Sears stores in my area that have the Platinum 34/78 in stock for pick-pick. The price however is $229.00. Four years ago when I replaced the wife's stock battery in her 07 JKU with a Platinum, the price was $189.00. I guess the $40.00 jump in price is Bush's fault.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Just searched the EnerSys Corp page with the following words " DieHard Platinum" "Sears diehard platinum" "EnerSys to stop producing the DieHard Platinum" and "Sears to cancel DieHard Platinum production contract with EnerSys" and this is the only thing that came up:

News Release

EnerSys Signs Multi-Year Contract to Provide Sears Holdings With Long-Life DieHard(R) Platinum Batteries
READING, Pa. and HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill., Feb. 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- EnerSys (NYSE: ENS), the world's largest manufacturer, marketer and distributor of industrial batteries, today announced it has signed a multi- year contract with Sears Holdings (Nasdaq: SHLD) to manufacture and supply Sears with a newly categorized DieHard Platinum branded battery for aftermarket automotive and marine applications. DieHard is America's most preferred automotive battery, among those stating a preference.

Beginning in March, 2007, Sears Auto Centers will be the exclusive distribution channel for DieHard Platinum batteries. "By working with EnerSys on the new DieHard Platinum battery, we continue the legacy of innovation that was established with the original DieHard battery 40 years ago," said Rick Sawyer, vice president/general merchandise manager of Sears Auto Centers. "We're confident this new battery will live up to the DieHard brand name and that users will be pleased with its performance. These premium-grade batteries are designed for a longer life than traditional batteries, offer increased levels of safe operation, can withstand extreme heat and cold, and are durable for consumer automotive/marine applications. The DieHard Platinum battery will offer proven vibration resistance to the consumer market.

The new DieHard Platinum batteries have up to 28% more Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) than comparatively sized spiral Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries providing much more starting power to automobiles and boats, along with unmatched reserved capacity. These thin-plate pure-lead batteries will carry DieHard batteries' best-ever, free replacement warranty. See your local Sears store for written warranty details.

"We're thrilled to provide this high-end, durable DieHard Platinum version to consumers," said John Craig, chairman, president and chief executive officer of EnerSys. "This partnership represents a great opportunity for more users to benefit from our pure-lead technology products."

The DieHard Platinum batteries are manufactured in EnerSys' U.S. manufacturing facility in Warrensburg, Mo, where the first DieHard Platinum came off the production line today. They have a valve-regulated design that allows them to be installed in any orientation, except inverted, without spilling and the U.S. Department of Transportation has classified them as non- spillable for safe shipping.

For more information, contact Richard Zuidema, Executive Vice President, EnerSys, P.O. Box 14145, Reading, PA 19612-4145. Tel: 800/538-3627; Web site: EnerSys Home.

About EnerSys

EnerSys, the world leader in stored energy solutions for industrial applications, manufactures and distributes reserve power and motive power batteries as well as chargers, power equipment and battery accessories to customers worldwide. With a strong commitment to innovation, EnerSys has developed a broad spectrum of technologies including lead-acid, specialty nickel based and lithium ion batteries. The company's reserve power batteries are used in numerous applications requiring standby power. Several types of commercial electric powered vehicles employ its motive power batteries, and EnerSys' premium batteries are utilized in a wide variety of motor vehicle, power sports and recreational vehicles. The company also provides aftermarket and customer support through its global sales and manufacturing network.

More information regarding EnerSys can be found at EnerSys Home.

About Sears Holdings Corporation

Sears Holdings Corporation is the nation's third largest broadline retailer, with approximately $55 billion in annual revenues, and with approximately 3,800 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada. Sears Holdings is the leading home appliance retailer as well as a leader in tools, lawn and garden, home electronics and automotive repair and maintenance. Key proprietary brands include Kenmore, Craftsman and DieHard, and a broad apparel offering, including such well-known labels as Lands' End, Jaclyn Smith and Joe Boxer, as well as the Apostrophe and Covington brands. It also has Martha Stewart Everyday products, which are offered exclusively in the U.S. by Kmart and in Canada by Sears Canada. The company is the nation's largest provider of home services, with more than 13 million service calls made annually. For more information, visit Sears Holdings' website at Sears Holdings Corporation - Corporate Website

SOURCE EnerSys

Rachel Lufkin or Beth Smith
both of The Simon Group, Inc.
+1-215-453-8700
fax +1-215-453-1670
or publicrelations@simongroup.com
for EnerSys
or
Larry Costello of Sears Holdings Corp.
+1-847-286-9036
Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
Also just searched the Sears Holding Corp site, and could not find any info about the a contract cancel with EnerSys Corp.
Where did you get your information???
I would think if this were true, there would be on a press release on one of these sites.

Quick Reply: Big shout out to Sears!!! Die Hard Platinum battery