Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Body damage evaluation for $7K. Any thing to watch out for ?

Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyMark
You should also get your own estimate from a different body shop so that you can compare it to what the insurance company body shop comes up with
Have an appointment for later today at another repair shop of my choice (supposed to be good!). Would dealership be any good or should I stay away ? The insurance called to have their own adjuster come take a look at it. They will call me back later today or tomorrow to set up an appointment.

Meanwhile, took the Wheel off - replaced with spare......did not change anything....still some vibration ! so reinstalled same wheel.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have them check your axle( shafts mounts c's) and all steering components, and frame!
Old 12-03-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
I would have them check your axle( shafts mounts c's) and all steering components, and frame!
The guy at the repair shop yesterday said that it might just need an alignment....when he said that.......he lost my trust in that body shop for now, but will see what the other bodyshop I am going to later today, will say.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Sure hope to get some good news by the end of the day, will let you guys know how it comes out.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi

Your toe looks a little off but might just be the picture
Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was in an accident earlier this year and the steering was also off, even after the shop was done with their repairs. Brought it to my 4x4 shop and they added an adjustable track bar to make it work right. Seems to drive even better Than I remember. About 250 installed.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Went to have an estimate done at a bodyshop nearby, I got similar results...$1k more than the first shop. They came to the same diagnostic as the other one, but he mentioned that it would have to be check out with the manufacturer specifications, before any realignment to be done. Just a realignment could be "hiding" other damage. He also said that it would most likely wear tires uneven, if it is out of specs and not fixed before alignment. He says if it is fixed right, there should not be any problems afterward. Will have to take my snow plow mount off, when sent for repair, or he will not work on it ! The first place did not mention anything about it.

The insurance adjuster was suppose to call me back today...nothing ! Hope he calls thursday.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:22 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Friend of mine rear ended a Suburban. Damage to Suburban was pretty significant. Visible damage to his vehicle was Shrockworks bumper was pointed down on one side about a quarter inch. That was it! But he told me afterward that he had a strange vibration at highway speeds. I asked if he'd checked his engine mounts. He hadn't, but when he did he found a sheared one. May not be your problem, but offer that as evidence that not all post-accident vibrations are "wheel balance". Have your vehicle inspected by a mechanic, in addition to the body shop techs.
Good point
Old 12-04-2014, 05:36 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by gerlo
Will change wheel with spare and go for a short ride and see if vibration is gone. By the way, it was a small flatbed truck something like this picture (found on the web). I beleive my wheel it his wheel cause there are some scratches and marks on my wheel. As for steering wheel, what I mean was that it is not centered like it should be, as if I would turn slightly to the left but the Jeep/wheels are going straight !
Man that picture sure looks like the tow truck that cut me off and punched in my front right plastic fender and support frame 800 km from you though.
Where do these guys get off?
Waited in line through 4 or 5 light changes to make a left turn in heavy traffic and the d'head tries to squeeze in between me and by then the only guy in front of me at the last second. We both got out and from what I could see from the drivers side at the front couldn't see the damage. Should have taken a picture of his truck and plate. Hind sight is 20/20
Old 12-04-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Finally, the insurance adjuster called. He will be coming to see the Jeep at my house tomorrow friday morning. I guess I will not have the OK to send it for fixing until sometime next week. Taking notes on all the stuff some of you mentioned, so the adjuster does not try to fool me too much anyway.

Will have to ask him if the post where the door hinges attach will be replaced.

Last night, I measured distance from torx head screws (where some mount mirror with half doors) to rear door (body post between fr/rear door) and there is almost 3/4 inch of difference between left and right side.
While looking at the Jeep, I found a big scratch / chunk of plastic gone, on the driver's side front plastic fender......since then, been wondering how it got there......then this morning I remembered that the passenger side mirror went flying over the hood, landing on the road...that must have hit the fender. Will show the adjuster and hope he changes it also.

Quick Reply: Body damage evaluation for $7K. Any thing to watch out for ?